Sessions Wall Clock Hairspring

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ScotSun, May 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I picked up this wall clock at a flea market as something to play with...

upload_2018-5-6_15-22-37.png
    upload_2018-5-6_15-30-29.png

I found that the hair spring has been damaged...

upload_2018-5-6_15-24-53.png

Three questions really...

First, I assume that I cannot simply clip it shorter and be able to get it to run. That seems like it may work but that it would go too fast...

Second, would a collection of "clock hairsprings" such as this... Clock Hairspring Assortment - Clockworks, be likely to include a suitable replacement?

and Thirdly, is the collet on these a simple press-on fit? The existing one seems quite firm on the arbor.

Thanks.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It wouldn't hurt anything to put the HS back as best you can, put it in beat and see what happens. It will without doubt be fast but you can add two tiny oposing weights on the rim of the balance wheel to slow it back down.
    I have never had much luck at finding replacements. Willie X

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've been only lucky once using this hairspring assortment. It was a Waterbury Octagon lever clock with a large and massive balance wheel. For this small balance wheel the springs are probably too strong. Try to form the existing spring using tweezers back to its spiral form as much as possible. Don't cut anything off. The collet is a friction fit. If you have to take it off you need to support it with a cows foot and use a hollow stake with a small opening to peen it off. You don't want to damage the point of the balance staff. To put it back on the staff use a stake with a wider opening that fits over the staff and press the collet back on. You will have to set the beat after this procedure.

Good luck!

Uhralt

4. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your hairspring is still in excellent shape. You only need to reshape the part that is out of alignment. Check out this video at youtube; www.youtube.com/watch?v=idO5elKgFMA It helped me a lot. I have found reshaping hairsprings to be a supreme trial in patience, but money wise, you only need two stainless steel tweezers and a good pair of magnifying glasses (at least I do). I have also found that reshaping the original hairspring is far better and easier than trying to get a replacement to work.