• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Sessions Revere 36" clock glass

Rex Aubrey

New User
Sep 9, 2020
Country
As you can see, from the photos , I need new glass or the artwork redone for this clock i rescued from my Father-in-Laws basement. If anyone has good glass, the artwork, or suggestions on what i should do, I would be very grateful for the info. I am willing to pay a reasonable price and shipping for this. The clock face is off as I am in the process of oiling the mechanism.
WIN_20201015_14_17_51_Pro (2).jpg WIN_20201015_14_16_51_Pro (2).jpg

abe

Jan 8, 2009
Central PA, USA
Country
Region
Did you check eBay? I think I have seen Revere clock artwork for sale.

Is oiling the works a good idea?

I hope you find the reverse painted glass. The Revere lighthouse and clipper ship makes a cool banjo clock.

Here is mine.

IMG_20160130_130033014.jpg

Rex Aubrey

New User
Sep 9, 2020
Country
Abe,
I just finished a 2 hour hunt on Ebay, Etsy, and a bunch of antique clock parts stores. No Luck so far. Still hoping someone here has some scans of the artwork or maybe one of the shop owners has the original glass still in good shape that would like to sell it to me. I have even looked for a clock that is not working to buy just for the glass. I did notice yours is a newer model than mine. Yours was advertised in a 1930 ad and mine was advertised in a 1927 ad. The main difference is the side scrolls and the final on top, As far as oiling goes, It is advised to use a good clock oil and oil the clock about every two years. This saves on costs of having a full cleaning done by extending the full cleaning cycle to about every 10-12 years instead of every 5 years or so.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
As far as oiling goes, It is advised to use a good clock oil and oil the clock about every two years. This saves on costs of having a full cleaning done by extending the full cleaning cycle to about every 10-12 years instead of every 5 years or so

That might be true when the clock is new or fairly new, but your clock may not have been serviced for 50 years or indeed ever, so this idea of oiling would not necessarily apply.

JTD

abe

Jan 8, 2009
Central PA, USA
Country
Region
Abe,
I just finished a 2 hour hunt on Ebay, Etsy, and a bunch of antique clock parts stores. No Luck so far. Still hoping someone here has some scans of the artwork or maybe one of the shop owners has the original glass still in good shape that would like to sell it to me. I have even looked for a clock that is not working to buy just for the glass. I did notice yours is a newer model than mine. Yours was advertised in a 1930 ad and mine was advertised in a 1927 ad. The main difference is the side scrolls and the final on top, As far as oiling goes, It is advised to use a good clock oil and oil the clock about every two years. This saves on costs of having a full cleaning done by extending the full cleaning cycle to about every 10-12 years instead of every 5 years or so.
I think the differences in our banjo clocks is the price. I think my clock was the more expensive model with the brass side scrolls and eagle instead of the wooden finial. My clock also has the "bim-bam" two-tone chime. The Revere Sessions clock my parents had had no chime at all but had the eagle and brass side scrolls.

abe

Jan 8, 2009
Central PA, USA
Country
Region
You might be right about my Sessions Revere clock being a later model instead of a more expensive model with more bells and whistles.

Here are pics of Sessions ads I have in my files. Both of these are from 1927. What's neat is that our house was built in 1929 so my Revere banjo is period correct.

1927 Sessions Revere ad.jpg 1927 Sessions ad.jpg

This ad is from 1932.

1932 Sessions ad.jpg
this is a picture of my Grandpa and Grandma sitting in our kitchen with my Dad's Sessions Revere banjo on the kitchen wall.
banjo clock.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewFeldwick
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller