Sessions restored -- can anyone ID?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by blueloon, Jan 19, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    retired, but busier than ever
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really hesitate to refinish old wood, be it a clock or furniture, but sometimes I feel it's necessary. In this case, it was. Someone really didn't care for this clock at all -- the price at the flea market reflected that -- as well as all of the dirt and damage. I wish I had taken a picture of the movement before I got the worst of the dirt off. The wheels wouldn't even move.
    Sessions before.jpg Sessions side.jpg Sessions top.jpg Sessions movement.jpg

I even tried to "rearrange" the shellac, but I think someone added something else to it because it wouldn't budge. So I refinished it and found some beautiful mahogany (I think) under all of the gunk.

Sessions after.jpg

Now, the question is, can anyone ID this one for me? The only marking on the case is 1041 stamped into the bottom. The clock is 19" long and 12" high. Thanks for your help.

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, blueloon, your clock is a Gilbert, model # 1041. It isn't listed in Tran Duy Ly's Gilbert book, but I would guess it's date as around 1920 or so. Nice restoration.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes there is a fine line between patina and yuk. No question here, I think you did the right thing and it looks great.

David

4. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed. I would have done the same. Looks great!

5. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info, Harold. I only assumed it was a Sessions because it came with a Session pendulum bob. Which also might explain why I'm having a hard time regulating the time on it -- picks up about 15 minutes a day even with it adjusted all of the way to the slow end. I guess I'll have to find an appropriate bob and see what I can do with it. Not much room to make the lead longer.

Thanks, all, for the kind words about my refinishing job.

6. SteveGus

SteveGus Registered User

Aug 6, 2014
    Indiana, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Might try a heavier bob in that case, since you know the one you have isn't original. FWIW, the movement may date itself on the front plate. With the steel plates, I'd guess WWI era.

The finish on some low end Gilberts seemed to be awfully prone to bad crazing. At least your dial is clean.

7. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks. I'll try a heavier bob. I looked for dates/numbers on the front plate and there was nothing. And I was very surprised/happy that the dial looked as good as it does with the rest of the clock as beat up as it was.

8. SteveGus

SteveGus Registered User

Aug 6, 2014
    Indiana, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of my favorite clocks is a Gilbert Gothic tombstone clock. When I got it the finish was heavily alligatored and the veneer was coming loose and cracking up and down the front. I decided it was a bit too delicate to refinish, so I glued on what was left of the loose veneer, painted it black and turned it into a Memento Mori clock. The dial there is a paper on celluloid dial that was badly stained from leaching out of the copper grommets. There was no way that clock would ever really be pretty again, so it may as well be interesting.

9. blueloon

blueloon Registered User

Jan 13, 2010
    Rockford, IL area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: