• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Sessions movement help

Bob2701

Oct 26, 2021
Country
Region
Hi all, I'm new here and attempting to learn how to disassembly a Sessions movement. I have had this clock for at least 50 years and it was not new when I got it, my father in law rebuilt it for my wife. I have oiled it every couple of years and it ran great. Last week it stopped running and I gave it a 24 hour soak in a clock cleaning solution from Clockworks. That seemed to help but I would really like to disassembly the movement for a good cleaning but am afraid I may not be able to get it back together again. Can someone recommend a good book the explains this particular movement? I would really like to know what to look for while disassembling. Thanks for any help.

IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0572.jpg

Attachments

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Right on this website are a "Hints and How to" and "How to do it" sections that contain articles that may answer most of your questions. I'm not aware of a book specific to Sessions but could be. Take lots of pictures. You will need to let down the mainsprings safely before you can disassemble.

Vernon

Reactions: Bob2701

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A let-down tool will be the only special tool needed at the start. It can be bought, or made, from a hardwood broom handle or 1" hardwood dowell. The spring retainer can be common 17 guage iron tie wire, or a screw/band type hose clamp.

Note, the axial hole for the key shank needs to be 5/16". The cross cut for the key wing needs to be about 5/8" deep and as wide as a common hand saw blade.

20200112_182525.jpg

Bushing work will require about a $150 expenditure for tools and bushings. You may want to look up 'checking for wear'.

Willie X

Bob2701

Oct 26, 2021
Country
Region
Right on this website are a "Hints and How to" and "How to do it" sections that contain articles that may answer most of your questions. I'm not aware of a book specific to Sessions but could be. Take lots of pictures. You will need to let down the mainsprings safely before you can disassemble.

Vernon
Thanks Vernon, I have to order C clamps and a let down tool before I do anything. I'll check out those sections of the forum.

Bob

Bob2701

Oct 26, 2021
Country
Region
A let-down tool will be the only special tool needed at the start. It can be bought, or made, from a hardwood broom handle or 1" hardwood dowell. The spring retainer can be common 17 guage iron tie wire, or a screw/band type hose clamp.

Note, the axial hole for the key shank needs to be 5/16". The cross cut for the key wing needs to be about 5/8" deep and as wide as a common hand saw blade.

View attachment 678245

Bushing work will require about a $150 expenditure for tools and bushings. You may want to look up 'checking for wear'.

Willie X
Willie X, I do like your let down handle and your suggestion of a hose clamp.

Thanks, Bob

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Read up on 'bushing using hand tools'. You clock will have a lot of wear at the pivot points, and the power from the springs could no longer overpower the wear. You'll likely be doing several bushings in it.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That looks like suspended ceiling wire? I think it's a little more brittle than 'tie' wire.
You can buy 'soft iron tie wire' at any hardware store, no need to order it. Common sizes are 16, 17, and 18 guage. Willie X

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
For this clock, 16 gage wire would be better but I have use 18 gage wire without a problem. That is steel wire - copper or aluminum wire should never be used. Never heard of 17 gage being offered but I would be be concerned about the "Made in China" part. Go to a contractor supply store or Lowes or Home Depot and get 16 gage rebar tie wire and you should be good for just about any spring that comes your way. (FYI the smaller the number the thicker the wire). Tie wire will be "soft" enough to twist, other types of steel wire may be strong enough but you may not be able to twist the ends easily.

RC

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've successfully used the 3 mentioned guages for many years and for general use, I like the #17 best.

But don't waist your time looking for it, if #16 is readily available, buy that. :)Willie X

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidEckman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-