Sessions / Mastercrafters swinging Boy & Girl help

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by ChrisBeattie, Oct 24, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisBeattie

ChrisBeattie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Associate Director of Campus Safety
    Canandaigua, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,

I have an electric Sessions/Mastercrafters swinger that I am looking at for a close friend. I normally tell people I dont work on electric clocks but want to try to help my friend.

When the clock is plugged in it does not run, not even a little noise can be heard like others I have run across. Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement motor for this clock? The motor is stamped "# MODEL #11 MASTERCRAFTERS CLOCK Co. CHICAGO US 115v A.C. 2.5W. 60CY". Is there a standard replacement motor that can be obtained at either Timesavers or Merritts?

If there is not a motor that can replace this motor does anyone here repair these clocks/motors?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Chris

2. ChrisBeattie

ChrisBeattie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Associate Director of Campus Safety
    Canandaigua, NY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello all,

I have an electric Sessions/Mastercrafters swinger that I am looking at for a close friend. I normally tell people I dont work on electric clocks but want to try to help my friend.

When the clock is plugged in it does not run, not even a little noise can be heard like others I have run across. Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement motor for this clock? The motor is stamped "# MODEL #11 MASTERCRAFTERS CLOCK Co. CHICAGO US 115v A.C. 2.5W. 60CY". Is there a standard replacement motor that can be obtained at either Timesavers or Merritts?

If there is not a motor that can replace this motor does anyone here repair these clocks/motors?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Chris

3. Hi CB,
    I am pretty sure I have one of those motors if you are still on the hunt. I personally don't think anyone carries those motors. What happens to those motors is the motor is constantly loaded and unloaded by design as the swinging motion is created. It make the bushings egg shaped in the motor and of course after time the motor just eats its self up and shorts out.

4. BAC

BAC Registered User

Sep 24, 2006
    I agree that you will not find a replacement motor except for salvage. On the other hand, I have never seen one that was beyond repair.

There are two main reasons a Mastercrafter motor will not run. One is a defect in the frame to which the motor is attached, the other is dirt in the brass (bronze?) bearing through which the center shaft passes.

Remove the motor from the frame and see if it will run. If it does not, press or punch the center shaft out from the flywheel side. Polish it lightly and clean out the bearing. A light coat of oil applied with a rag will help. It should run upon reassembly.

If it is not the motor, the most common defect is the little brass bearing holding the verticle worm gear and fiber gear (deterioration of this gear is the most common problem for these clocks. The motor runs but will not drive the time train). You will easily identify this defect as the arbor will be very loose, possibly causing binding. It is press fit into the metal frame and will need to be removed for repair. You can make a new one fairly easily; it is just a piece of flat brass with a pivot hole.

Unfortunately, few repairers will take the time to fix these clocks because the labor isn't justified by the values. I do it for my own collection and because I hate to see collectible pieces go into the trash.

5. Cuckoo348

Cuckoo348 Registered User

Jun 13, 2004
    engineer (Retired)
    Boardman, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Sessions / Mastercrafters swinging Boy & Girl help

I have one in for repairs. The clock runs but the swinging girl does not work. The swing plate is moved in one direction but does not return for the next in-pulse.
    Is there a spring missing?
    Can any one help. This is for a little girl that is broken hearted because it does not swing.
    "Doc Clock"
    NAWCC # 147828

6. burnz

burnz Inactive User

Jan 24, 2006
    Country Flag:

Well---except for your today post---the post and its replies were all in Oct of 2006!

You may or may not get a reply from previous posters.

7. tic toc doc

tic toc doc Registered User

Dec 4, 2007
    retired
    silsbee texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Do you know where I can find Sunbeam motor parts for a mastercrafters boy girl clock. The part I need is the gear that is attached to the magnet part of the motor. Thanks E.J.

8. Movementman

Movementman Registered User

Oct 30, 2012

Look in cheap quartz movements, i found several in them, but it can be tricky.

9. Tony3900

Tony3900 Registered User

Nov 3, 2018
    Country Flag:
    I am missing the piece where the girl on the swing attaches to the clock. Does anyone know what this looks like or where I could get another one.Thanks

10. D.th.munroe

D.th.munroe Registered User

Feb 15, 2018
    Male
    Full time clock and watchmaker
    BC Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi. Luckily I have a one on the bench now. Not sure where you could get parts, might be close to impossible, but heres some pictures of the parts. Hope they help.
    Dan.

15504539383485300499413406480554.jpg 15504539917583381996673716262632.jpg 15504540612282384554689657708061.jpg

11. Tony3900

Tony3900 Registered User

Nov 3, 2018
    Country Flag: