Sessions mantle clock

JohnA

Nov 10, 2020
Country
Hello I am trying to set time on old sessions mantle clock with nut hand retainer however unlike my similar era Plymouth the minute hand doesn’t want to be moved seems very tight or “locked”in either direction. Don’t want to force it, any suggestions? Thanks

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello John. Do you have some pictures. That would help us.

JohnA

Nov 10, 2020
Country
Hello John. Do you have some pictures. That would help us.
Hello Kevin, see attached. A couple of notes. The clock is running well at this time about 5 days, although I don't know yet if it will run full 7 or 8 days, haven't verified accuracy/beat but pretty close. I also posted this under electric which is incorrect. I had this clock several months ago to get key and "get running", I will check my notes on the minute hand being hard to advance. Maybe I am just too hesitant as the clock is not mine, although unlike my Plymouth this is very "tight". It has a separate bell for 1/2 hour train and the hour train. I am a novice but having fun with these old clocks. The long term solution is full service. I haven't checked yet but does NAWCC have New Orleans area antique clock service recs? Thanks John

Attachments

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi John i see a pdf file that wont open, can you just post pictures, from your phone or computer?

JohnA

Nov 10, 2020
Country
Hi John i see a pdf file that wont open, can you just post pictures, from your phone or computer?
See attached Kevin, I adjusted the hands last night, just very tight. A couple of questions, should you stop a clock to wind or move hands? Is there a forum or listing of recommended repair shops by area? Thanks

Sessions Clock (1)_Page_1.jpg Sessions Clock (1)_Page_2.jpg

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Hi John
Since you haven't pulled the clock apart to clean it, there's a very good chance that the tightness is due to a lack of lubrication. The old oil has probably hardened into a paste of grease, dust, and filings.
You may be able to loosen it up if you can get something in there to clean off some of the gunk and add a drop of very thin oil to the works. I'm including a picture of a Sessions movement of mine (pre-cleaned) without the back plate to help you visualize the job.
Right in the center you'll see a dark spring washer with 3 triangular tabs that ride on a flat brass disc- that's the spring that allows the minute hand to slip. That plate, and the shaft through it, is what you'll need to clean/lube in order to get the minute hand loosened- unless you have other issues.
Remember that if it's the oil is causing problems there, it's causing problems everywhere else, too.

SessionsTampaNoBack.jpg

JohnA

Nov 10, 2020
Country
Hi John
Since you haven't pulled the clock apart to clean it, there's a very good chance that the tightness is due to a lack of lubrication. The old oil has probably hardened into a paste of grease, dust, and filings.
You may be able to loosen it up if you can get something in there to clean off some of the gunk and add a drop of very thin oil to the works. I'm including a picture of a Sessions movement of mine (pre-cleaned) without the back plate to help you visualize the job.
Right in the center you'll see a dark spring washer with 3 triangular tabs that ride on a flat brass disc- that's the spring that allows the minute hand to slip. That plate, and the shaft through it, is what you'll need to clean/lube in order to get the minute hand loosened- unless you have other issues.
Remember that if it's the oil is causing problems there, it's causing problems everywhere else, too.

View attachment 652940
Hello Jeff, thanks for the quick response, I did a minor pull apart lube of my Plymouth and will do that here too focusing on the center shaft per your instructions, if not will get to a shop. The Sessions appears to be a bit more refined movement than the Plymouth and a good bit "quieter". Is it OK to wind and adjust hands on these clocks while running? Thanks John

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Is it OK to wind and adjust hands on these clocks while running? Thanks John
Honestly, I've never thought about it.
I've just assumed that it's ok to wind and adjust while running, because stopping and starting a pendulum or balance wheel probably has more potential to do damage, or get the clock out of beat. I'm just getting started with clocks myself and still have no idea how much I don't know.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Yes you can adjust a clock while running, by pushing the minute hand clock wise to set the time, pause at the half hours and hours to let it strike. And yes you can wind the clock too while its running.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Yes you can adjust a clock while running, by pushing the minute hand clock wise to set the time, pause at the half hours and hours to let it strike. And yes you can wind the clock too while its running.
I don't think the question was if we can adjust and/or wind while the clock is running, but rather if we should. I don't know of any reason not to, but someone else might.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Cant see any reason not too, been doing it for years. Have not seen any problems.

Reactions: JeffG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Look on the handshaft just behind the front plate. You will see a small spur gear directly against a larger gear. Place a drop of penetrating oil at the junction of these two gears and another drop on the back of the larger gear. Let this set for a few days. Often this will cure the sticking minute hand clutch.

This problem is a good sign that your clock needs to be taken apart and properly serviced.

Willie X

Reactions: Kevin W. and JeffG

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Don't turn the hand backward. Always clockwise, waiting the the strike to finish.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Unless you've told the computer what to do with PDF files, they just go into the download folder. Look for it there :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsun
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre