Sessions Mantle Clock Rebuild

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Carl Alelyunas, Dec 2, 2019.

  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Carl Alelyunas

    Carl Alelyunas Registered User

    Jan 20, 2019
    13
    7
    3
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I bought this Sessions mantle clock for $10 from a craigslist seller, who I believe "gleaned" it from the trash on a recycling day. It was in really unfortunate shape; the case was held together with 16 penny nails and had been painted with latex after a bad job of stripping. But the works were OK, so I thought I'd try my hand at rebuilding and refinishing it without a lot invested and on something that really probably isn't too collectible.

    First I took it completely apart and stripped it, then glued and filled the divots, then repainted the case with gloss black lacquer. Then I sourced the correct handles and a new top ribbon emblem from Ebay. I couldn't find the correct column bases for the three small columns that were missing, so I made molds from the original column bases with silicone molding clay, and filled them with resin. I had to reinforce the back of the bezel where the metal had begun to fatigue and split, then I painted all the metal parts with bronze paint.

    I finally finished it this last weekend after trying my hand at faux marbling on the columns and the column supports.

    It looks good from 5 or more feet away :p

    Here are some before and after shots:
    IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1104.JPG IMG_1105.JPG
     
  2. Raymond Rice

    Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

    Feb 14, 2011
    256
    20
    18
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations -- nicely done!
    Ray Rice
     
  3. Carl Alelyunas

    Carl Alelyunas Registered User

    Jan 20, 2019
    13
    7
    3
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, Ray, for saying that... I know it's pretty rough, but it was good practice, and if you squint a bit, it looks OK. Here's what I would do differently:

    1) Use a skim of bondo on the entire surface instead of just the chipped and divoted portions.
    2) Spend about 10 times as long sanding it.
    3) Do a better job of painting it, without the drips and bare spots.
    4) Figure out some way to recreate the front decoration. Is it pressed in or carved? You know, the indented decoration on the front... How was that done in the first place?
     
  4. claussclocks

    claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

    Mar 14, 2013
    706
    172
    43
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hos did you do the marbling?
     
  5. Carl Alelyunas

    Carl Alelyunas Registered User

    Jan 20, 2019
    13
    7
    3
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Using basically latex paints I bought at a hobby store for $1.99 a bottle, I did the marbling by first painting the wood black, letting that dry, then mixing the black with the red until I got a dark red, and applying that with a (barely) moist sea sponge. I didn't wait very long before mixing another shade with less black, and sponging that shade on. Then I mixed it another shade less black, and dabbed that on. I'm not sure if I did another shade- I think it looked good enough at that point.

    To do the veins, I let the pieces dry a little, then mixed a little off-white into the last color I used, thinned it down with a few drops of water, and drew lines kind-of randomly. I blotted and smeared them with a clean moist sea sponge to break them up a little.

    For the white columns I started with a white base, then barely blotted them with some of the white mixed with a little black, then thinned that color down and drew veins again, smearing and blotting them with a clean sea sponge.

    After the latex was dry, I sprayed them all with polyurethane clearcoat since the paint was flat finish, and I wanted gloss. Plus it yellowed it all a little, which I thought was a good effect.

    Here's a link to what I was trying for:
     

Share This Page