Sessions mantel clock ID/info needed - PHOTOS Added!

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Ed Bellman, Oct 12, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ed Bellman

Ed Bellman Guest

I have a Sessions "Chapel Chime #3" electric 3-chime mantel clock that I inherited from my grandfather. It has not worked in some time and I am trying to find some general info about the clock as well as repair options. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Ed

2. Ed Bellman

Ed Bellman Guest

I have a Sessions "Chapel Chime #3" electric 3-chime mantel clock that I inherited from my grandfather. It has not worked in some time and I am trying to find some general info about the clock as well as repair options. Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Ed

3. Greg R.

Greg R. Guest

can you post a photo?

Greg

4. Ed Bellman

Ed Bellman Guest

Here is some more info:
    Brass timing mechanism is stamped with Sessions Clock Co. and address and patent # 1700506, which from my research was issued somewhere around 1929-1930. The clock body appears to have been restained or finished as the partially hidden inlay shows. Another possibility is simply a thick coating of tar as my grandfather was a HEAVY smoker - I have not tried to clean it with anything yet (what to use?). The smoking also accounts for the dirty insides I believe.

Here is the front overall shot of the clock.
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/416d68e4_aa6a/bc/clock/clockfront.jpg?BCChJcBBL.Juhh6W

Here are some more pics - clock pic folder

Thanks,
    Ed

5. Greg R.

Greg R. Guest

I can't locate the model in Ly's book, so can't help you on that score.

As far as the case is concerned, the "inlay" is acheived by the use of a stencil...it is not actually inlaid with differing woods. To clean...I use straight "Era" or "Tide", and rub,rub,rub,rub...making sure to use a lot of rags. I read on another post(not sure which list) of a combination of 1/3 turpintine, 1/3 cider vinegar, and 1/3 linseed oil. I'm going to try it to see if it's easier.

As far as the movement is concerned...if your not aquainted with cleaning and repairing movements...I would defer to a professional.

As a note... you see the small cylinder on the top right of the movement? That is a capsule in which oil is inserted for the lubrication of the striking side rotor. I've been told to use mineral oil.

I had until recently a clock simaliar to this one except mine was a westminster chime, and had a motor simaliar to your strike side motor.

Greg