bud4u2

Mar 4, 2010
Fremont,Ca.
Country
I have a Sessions Electric Westminster # 27 Tambour
clock that was given to me, but it doesn't have the electric
motor. Does anyone know where I could get a motor for this
clock ??. Does anyone have a picture or model # of this motor
so that I could search the internet for one.

Thanks,

Bud

E. Giovanni

Oct 20, 2011
Hello. Hope the following may help. I also have the Westminster No.27 and replaced the main electic motor. The wires at the motor coil were shedding their varnish coating and posing a hazard. I spotted an industrial timer at a surplus store with a motor that looked identical. Took a chance and lo and behold, the motor and operating specs were same as original motor in clock. Did a swap and all works perfectly. I've posted pics of the clock, donor industrial timer, pics of motor with all its inscriptions. It would appear that Sessions was not the only company to use this Telechron motor. Finding some of those other companies may help those doing a similar resto. Good luck.

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
E. Giovanni's adaptation using a GE Telechron clock rotor for the Sessions chime clock is interesting and clever.

The Sessions mantel chiming clock shown in the photo did not originally use the Telechron motor. I understand a Hammond type "C" spin-to-start motor was used which was troublesome and is not available.

Sessions used the spin-to-start motor for two reason: one Telechron refused to license the use of their motor to other clock manufacturers. The second reason is because a clock with a self-starting motor would stop during an electrical power interruption and restart when power restored showing the wrong time.

Sessions used the small dial on the clock shown in the photos to indicate if the clock was running or stopped and also to spin-start the motor after an interruption in electric service.

I am unable to locate a usable photo of the Hammond type "C" motor or a similar motor spin-start substitute motor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken B
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller