Sessions count wheel strike problem

Richard Kennett

Blackwell Clock Award
May 30, 2014
Country
Region
As shown in the photos, I have the count lever in deep position in the count wheel, I have the drop lever in position in the gap in the cam, I have the locking lever locking against the pin. When I set the strike train into motion, the count wheel only moves one gap and then comes to a halt. It won't miss all the shallow gaps and then stop into the deep gap. It stops at every gap. I don't know what other step to take so that the count wheel will move through until the next strike position. Any suggestions?

IMG_1600.jpg IMG_1601.jpg IMG_1602.jpg IMG_1603.jpg IMG_1605.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The stop lever (last photo) is to low. It should drop to a point where the tip is just barely below the centerline of the pin.
Willie X

Reactions: disciple_dan

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Set your movement in a test stand. Manually lift the count hood to start the strike. Keep the hook lifted to follow your strike. At the moment it needs to stop, lightly press in on the hook on the strike cam. You will see how far off the count hook is then. Make small adjustments until it behaves. Keep the hook in a good straight entry. Don't let it scrape the sides of the count wheel. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right. Don't get frustrated.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
When all adjustments are correct, the maintence cam should be lifting the count finger about 1/8" above the teeth on the count wheel. If the count finger is riding to close to the count wheel, the stroke will be shortened. This will make the upper stop lever harder to adjust.
I always start by getting the lower parts working together correctly and then tweep the stop lever height last.
Also, before your leave the strike train, make sure that the "J" hook is raising the warning hook well into the path of the warning pin. If this stop is not completely 'safe', it can cause some perplexing problems.
Willie X

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
What Willie said. Another way to say it is that the count hook shouldn't hit the base of the deep slot too hard. But if the cam is lifting the count hook high enough, the problem is probably the stop lever being so low that its grabbing the stop pin at every rotation instead of just when the count hook drops into a deep slot.

Richard Kennett

Blackwell Clock Award
May 30, 2014
Country
Region
The stop lever (last photo) is to low. It should drop to a point where the tip is just barely below the centerline of the pin.
Willie X
Willie, you hit the nail on the head! I bent the stop lever up just a tiny amount higher so that it clears the pin except when stopping in the deep gap (for the strike). All is now working beautifully! Thanks so much for your insight!

Richard Kennett

Blackwell Clock Award
May 30, 2014
Country
Region
Set your movement in a test stand. Manually lift the count hood to start the strike. Keep the hook lifted to follow your strike. At the moment it needs to stop, lightly press in on the hook on the strike cam. You will see how far off the count hook is then. Make small adjustments until it behaves. Keep the hook in a good straight entry. Don't let it scrape the sides of the count wheel. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right. Don't get frustrated.
Thanks for your input, Thomas! I followed Willie's advice and bent up ever so slightly the clocking arm and it then cleared the rotating pin except for when it needed to strike. I appreciate you help.

Richard Kennett

Blackwell Clock Award
May 30, 2014
Country
Region
What Willie said. Another way to say it is that the count hook shouldn't hit the base of the deep slot too hard. But if the cam is lifting the count hook high enough, the problem is probably the stop lever being so low that its grabbing the stop pin at every rotation instead of just when the count hook drops into a deep slot.
Thanks for your input Shutterbug. I followed Willie's advice and got it right first time. I appreciated your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre