Sessions clock with unusual stamp on plate

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by harold bain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm working on this Sessions black mantel, looks like a Winchester, from 1921 in Tran's book. It has Lion heads on the side instead of what's shown from the catlaog picture. Has the Successors to E. N. Welch label often seen.
    The unusual thing is the stamp on the back plate of the movement.
    A large C with an E in the middle. Looks professionally done. 100_0962.jpg
    Anyone seen anything like this? The movement is trademarked Sessions, likely original to the clock.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Harold,

Seen a ton of those movements, got a few of them now, but I've never seen that mark before.

That would be a good picture to indicate how much the springs should be let down for easy assembly/dis-assembly.

Willie X

3. harold bain

Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, Willie, it's a very common movement. I took the picture just before taking it apart. Needed the usual half dozen or so bushings. I try to get about that much unwind when letting down loop end springs. Not enough or too much and it's much harder to re-assemble. And I always use wire to restrain them. The front plate has the usual trademark stamped.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #4 Steven Thornberry, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    I'm sure we've seen that CE come up before in regard to Sessions clocks. As I recall, we reached no definite conclusions. I vaguely remember having had a clock with that marking, but I'm not sure I would still have it. Hey, maybe good old Charlie Eccles put the movement together.:whistle:

Aearch on Sessions CE brought two threads in addition to this one. Here is one of those two, and in it is a link to the other.

5. harold bain

Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Steven. I had a closer look at this one, and sure enough it's also stamped in the wood on the bottom with the C E. So, these were made for a customer (CE), possibly as a giveaway clock. The mystery as to who CE was remains.

6. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for this thread! I recently had a Sessions clock with the C E stamp. ...now I understand that marking better.

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Maybe so, but it doesn't entirely satisfy. I would expect to find this sort of thing on a label, something like "Made Expressly for CE by the Sessions Clcok Co." I was wondering whether it was a quality control marking of some kind, but that doesn't satisfy entirely either.

8. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have just come across a Sessions with the Ce mark, the dial is unmarked, but the case has the same trim as others and the gong base is typical. the plate layout is Sessions.