• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Sessions banjo clock pendulum is not connected

plove53

Dec 24, 2009
Hello…

I’m new here and I want to say hello first.

I bought a Sessions banjo clock on ebay. It looks nice… it’s a 8 day wind up, chimes the hour, and chimes on the half hour.

It was shipped but the one part of the pendulum is not connected (the long stick on top?). It looks like the top (near at the clockworks) is not connected. I don’t know how to connect it. It looks like it should wrap around something.

PLEASE HELP… and THANKS for any help /

-phil

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Hi Phil, and welcome! Behind the movement, at the top, you'll find a spring device with two protruding pins. The pendulum hangs on the pins. It will probably go up through a notch, then attach to the spring. If you can't see back there, reach your hand up and you can hook it by feel. Let us know it that don't work out. It may also attach to a lower set of pins that already go through the notch. One way or the other. Then read the sticky at the top of the forum on how to set it in beat. Let us know how it works out! :D

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Phil, welcome to the message board. Without a picture, it sounds like the suspension spring needs to be fitted back onto it's post. You will likely have to remove the dial to see where it goes.

plove53

Dec 24, 2009
Thanks... I'll look at it tomorrow. I'll try to get a picture of the the works...

is the face easy to take off?

-phil

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You have to remove the hands first, then the screws holding the dial down. Not difficult. Minute hand likely held with a nut, hour hand is friction fit.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
As long as you're at it, front and back pictures would be great! You'll have to remove the movement, but after you get the dial off, you'll see how to do that :)

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Phil i will post your pics here as later no one may be able to acess these later and it will be lost, hope you don,t mind.

Phil i noticed in your picture the suspension spring is not straight.If it were straighter it would help, perhaps check to see if clock is in beat too now.

Attachments

Last edited:

plove53

Dec 24, 2009
Hi Phil i will post your pics here as later no one may be able to acess these later and it will be lost, hope you don,t mind.

Phil i noticed in your picture the suspension spring is not straight.If it were straighter it would help, perhaps check to see if clock is in beat too now.
Thanks Kevin,

I'm not sure if I'm going to touch the suspension spring (YET). I don't know too much about clocks. SO FAR (at least 24 hours) it's been keeping perfict time and has been chimming the hour and once on the half hour. Is it normal to chime 2-minutes before the hour?

I may take it to a clock person to give it the once-over.

Well I think I like clocks and looking into another style. :)

-phil

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Phil, it couldn,t hurt to take to a clock person to have a look at it.
Nice looking clock by the way, i have a New Haven 8 day banjo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-