Servicing floating balance chiming movement

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Although the chime and strike trains run, the balance wheel stops rotating in a few seconds. I took the barrels and balance out, what's left looks like a typical T&S movement but with a few extra wheels and levers (I've worked successfully on a number of T&S pendulum movements, this is my first platform and my first chiming movement all rolled into one).

You can see pictures in this thread Where are the jewels Seth Thomas (Hermle) A401-003?

The escapement seems to rotate back-and-forth well by itself, the lever/fork seems sluggish when I removed the escapement. The lever does apply some impulse to the escapement, but I gather it's not enough.

My plan is to service the movement as usual, disassemble, degrease, clock cleaner, check and clean all pivots and pivot holes, then reassemble and oil the pivots. And figure out how to make sure everything is synchronized, including the chime drum (don't want the wrong note sequence!)

But I'm not sure what to do about the escapement. I could reinstall it and see if the clock runs well. If not, I could clean/oil it without taking it apart, or learn how to disassemble it and do a proper job.

Advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The floating balance must be cleaned but not oiled. The two jewels inside the vertical tube should remain dry. I clean them with a wash in naphtha followed by spraying them with denatured alcohol. Once the balance drys, mount the bottom in a vice and spin the balance wheel. It should rotate about two minutes. Once reinstalled in the movement, it should rotate very widely in both directions. The position of the fork is critical. Once you get it back together, make a video of it running and we will be able to help.

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Thanks Will, that information is very useful, I'll do as you instruct, but with one question:

When you say wash with Naptha do you mean immerse the entire floating balance as a unit in Naptha, or pour some Naptha into the vertical tube followed by alcohol to just clean the jewels, or take it all apart first and just wash the jewels, or something else? I don't know how to take the balance apart, I hope I don't have to.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Don’t take it apart. Just soak it or spray naphtha on the whole thing. I usually don’t soak it. I just spray it several times. Saturate it. I keep naphtha in a spray bottle and use it as an initial cleaner on all movements before dismantling and putting in the ultrasonic.

Last edited:

shutterbug

NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
You won't be able to tell too much until you get the movement cleaned up, fixed up. Then let us know how it's acting.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jr webster
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool