• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Servicing a Hammond Bichronous Movement

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
This is my first time servicing a Hammond Bichronous electric movement. As I have found in previous threads, this one has the usual teeth missing from the fiber start wheel and the power cord is bad. It is also severely gummed up from dirt and dried oil. The backup power mainspring is very sticky and I would like to clean and re-lube it. Does anyone know how to get at the mainspring on these movements? The brass cap is attached inside somehow and both ends of the gear assembly appear to be pressed onto the shaft.
Thanks,
Allan

IMG_0495.jpg IMG_0496.jpg

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Allan!

Ken Reindel of kensclockclinic.com is an expert on restoring these clocks. You might want to visit his website and contact him. He recently did a presentation for Chapter 21 in Denver (on Zoom) regarding these clocks, and it was recorded.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, Allan!

Here's the video recording of Ken's presentation:

Best regards!

Tim

Reactions: Dave T

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
Tim,
Thank you very much for providing the link to the video. It contains a lot of useful information on repairing one of these movements. I've got it book marked along with Ken's presentation on overhauling electric clock motors. Please pass along my thanks to Ken for putting this excellent presentation together.

There was not a lot of information on accessing the mainspring, but Ken's advice on levering the cover off with a sharp screw driver pointed me in the right direction. I finally got the cover off. As you can see, the old dried oil around the rim made an effective glue. I've got a few pry marks on the cover to clean up.
Thanks again,
Allan

IMG_0499.jpg