Service in Vancouver, BC, Canada?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by DanTDavies, Sep 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanTDavies

DanTDavies Registered User

Nov 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi,
    I am looking for a repair tech in the above area. Our previous fellow retired and we need someone new. I have tried going through the BC Community in this group with no success. Would anyone be able to make a recommendation for someone in my area.
    I have a 20y old grandfather clock, 3 weights, multiple chimes. Please let me know if you need more detail to make a suggestion.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try the NAWCC Chapter, pretty sure someone can help you there. Here is a link. Home

3. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
  4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
  5. DanTDavies

Nov 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the replies! I have tried going through the BC Chapter, and got in contact with Ray Saunders. I have been trying to set up an appointment for about 1 month and it has not worked. I came back to this group when I could not contact him.
    The Yelp link was more for watches, and only mentioned clock repair incidentally. If anyone has had a good experience with clock repair in the Vancouver area, I would love to hear about it.
    Cheers,
    Dan

6. DanTDavies

Nov 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    I have had no luck finding a service technician through this association, which is unfortunate. I thought it would have been the best way to find expert and reliable help in my area. After over a month of trying here, I have had no success.

I do not know if it would help others, but perhaps an advertising forum or page, that would allow people with clocks to find people with expertise, and vice versa.

I guess it is back to Google!

Cheers,
    Dan

7. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

Sorry to hear that the BC chapter could not help you. I checked the directory for the BC chapter and there are only 35 or so members, which is very small for a chapter that covers a large metropolitan area such as Vancouver.

The clock repair community, even in Vancouver, is a small community and they usually know other repair people or at least know of them. Can your former repair person recommend someone?

Regards.

8. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did you try the Calgary, Alberta chapter?

9. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think this is a good learning experience for both the Association and local Chapters. You normally have an email link to the Secretaries on the individual Chapters' pages.

Each Chapter should maintain a list of members willing to take on watch or clock repair from inquiries like this. The list is then forwarded to the Secretary to draw from for help, down the list, etc. A role call should go out to the membership at least twice a year to keep it current. I'm willing to bet you could have a readily available list of at least 10 members willing to help at any given time, many are competent repair persons but may not have a business or advertise. Those with businesses may be backlogged for months, other members maybe not. Stuff like this gives the Association a bad image.

Just a thought.
    Don

10. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,

The person who owns the business in the attached link, Dennis Radage, is an NAWCC member and is located in B.C.

Pacific Antique Clocks

I doubt he would make a house call for a clock, but he should be able to recommend someone to service your clock.

Perhaps you should e-mail him via his web site and indicate that his advice to your query was recommended by a fellow NAWCC member.

Regards.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    NAWCC members can use the member directory to find people in a particular area. Member Directory

The Membership Department staff will also forward emails to members when they receive an email requesting that service. When the member being sought receives the email, they can decide whether or not to reply. Those in business will almost always reply.The association does not publish member emails unless they are business members listed in the Business Member Directory

12. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Can a non-NAWCC member, such as the OP, make this request directly to the Membership Department Staff?

Regards.

13. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I believe so. It is not an "official" service offering, but Pam has been doing it for over 25 years.

14. DanTDavies

Nov 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the suggestions! I have sent a message to Pacific Antique Clocks.