Help seperating the arbor from the cap

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Clockinit, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clockinit

Clockinit Registered User

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Peoples.... I am trying to change a mainspring on an ANSONIA mantel clock...What's the secret to seperating the arbor from the barrel cap/gear?

ams3.jpg ams2.jpg ams1.jpg

2. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ....I'm just noticing that there is what appears to be a rivet on the outside of the barrel, that seems to be locking in the extreme opposite end of the spring...Am i seeing this right?? what would be the procedure for extracting the spring from the barrel?...first off, I still need to know how to separate this arbor from the cap....
    Bob

ams5.jpg ams6.jpg

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have a main spring winder?

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    You don't. But, I think your worded your question wrong ...

Looks like you need to remove the spring from it's retainer, it's not really a barrel. To do this you will need a spring winder. Then make an arbor similar to the original, then wind up the spring and take it out of the retainer sleeve, as you would for a normal barrel.

Look up 'removing springs from a 124 Seth Thomas'. The 124 is made just like your Ansonia and there are many post on this subject.

Good luck,. Willie X

Kevin W. and NEW65 like this.
  5. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    yes I have a winder....make an arbor? Huh?...alright...let me do some research...

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or look through your parts drawer to find one that will work.

7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not exactly. The "rivet" is sort of a little post with a small head on the inside of the "barrel" (often called a spring box) over which a hole in the end of the spring hooks. Once the spring is wound and captured in a sleeve using a spring winder the sleeve and spring are rotated backward a few degrees and the spring will unhook from the "rivet" and can then be slipped out.

RC

NEW65 likes this.
  8. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    OK...I sort of figured that's how it is gonna be...I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do for an arbor...Let me see what I can come up with...Thanks guys...I'll get back to ya!! ;)

Kevin W. likes this.
  9. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I had 3 arbors in my drawer and all 3 were the wrong direction...I flipped the arbor around and was able to man-handle it ...at east for one of them...the other I pulled out as if I was removing a broken mainspring...The one is captured.... I should be able to capture the 2 new ones. I really need to get an arbor going in the right direction....HMMM?

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Just file off the upset metal and drill a 1/16" hole, all the way through the arbor.
    Tap in a steel tapered pin, or make a pin from soft mild steel. When the pin is installed and tight, saw the pin off about 1/8" proud of the arbor. Then place the arbor on an anvil and peen the top of the pin to a nice mushroom shape and stop, no filing.

The mushroom shape will work in both directions and some old American clocks were made that way at the start.

Note, peening is done by applying many many very light taps with a small
    (4 ounce) hammer with a rounded polished face. A little job like this will take probably take 100 to 200 taps.

Willie X

11. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Wow!! Sounds like a hoot Willie!! I'm gonna do it..That arbor, is it EZ to drill a hole through it? You guys are gonna make a craftsman outta me yet!!:nutjob:

12. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Should be soft enough to drill. Lay it in a v block so that it doesn't roll then center punch first then drill using some cutting fluid or oil. I just made a whole new arbor today in preparation to deal with my first ST.124.

IMG_20200327_155509.jpg IMG_20200327_155500.jpg

13. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have the arbor filed down, the hole drilled and just about have the fabricated steel pin completed, and ready to cut to size and then peened....who'da thunk:???:

14. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    there it is Willie X......;)
    Thanks,
    Bob

arbor1.jpg

15. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That looks very good. In this business you have to be inventive :)

16. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That looks like a good one. Willie

17. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Guys...It's that kinda stuff that makes m feel like i accomplished something!! That and correcting a mis-behaving clock!!:)