Separating a wheel from its arbor

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ChrisCam, May 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, whilst I await the necessary tools to attempt my first tooth repair I thought i would seek the advise from those more experienced over the practicality of separating the wheel from its arbor. In fact in my example here the star wheel needs also separating.
    Do I need to separate....possibly not but as I have hundreds of spare wheels it is worth knowing the pros and cons.
    OK what I would do left to my own devices is put this arbor in a split stake and firstly remove (or attempt to) the star wheel after carefully measuring its position. i think i could remove the star wheel using a hollow punch on the arbor end. That would then leave me with the wheel so same thing i guess split stake and hollow punch but this time the additional length of arbor increases the risk of bending the arbor.
    have any of you experienced guys done this and is it viable or foolhardy to attempt....any advise as always gratefully received?
    regards
    Chris

tooth 1.jpg tooth2.jpg

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Chris,
    You seem determined to make more work for yourself:???: Willie X

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Measure the arbour to see if there is any relief near the pivot, to determine if there is going to be a tough press all the way. You can certainly use a crows foot and hollow punches. I have done that often with my staking set hollow punches. Yes I am not always that steady when pounding so I set up a machinists vice with some fixtures to act has a horizontal press to give me more control.

There are some V blocks to support the shaft, home made crows foot and a press block with various holes to clear different diameter pivots.
    There are small magnets in the various fixtures to keep them in place.

Here is a pic of removing a lantern pinion shroud, but it should give you an idea.

showing crows foot support and moving v block.jpg crows foot supporting the shroud.jpg

David

4. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is what I was thinking, but he asked the question. Perhaps it is for learning??

David

disciple_dan likes this.
  5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In general, if you can avoid it, don't remove the wheel. The friction fit may not be tight enough when you put it back on and you may notice this only later when the clock has run for some time. Bad if it is not your own clock.

Uhralt

6. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And then you get practice knurling the shaft.

David

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    True, it's the journey that counts.

Uhralt

8. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks David and Willie, as David suggests it is at this stage just knowledge for knowledge sake. I cant help but wonder how difficult it is to separate the wheel from its arbor and one day I might have to so having a few idle moments here I am. Really impressed with your press David.
    Chris

9. ChrisCam

ChrisCam Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Male
    England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And when I have practiced everything and didn't feel intimidated by the challenge I would readily become bored.....never going to happen with clocks is it?
    Chris