Senden Clock Factory

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by MuensterMann, Jun 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    I have an electric clock that runs on one C-sized battery. It is made by the Uhrenfabrik Senden from Germany, but does say Made in France. Anyone out there with experience with this movement? I apply the 1.5 volts to it, but cannot get any movement at all from the magnetic-mechanical portion. If I move a gear with finger, the magnetic-mechanical portion will move back and forth. Just wondering what the most common issue is with these movements and if repairable.

Thanks!

senden.jpg

2. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    I was able to apply the 1.5 volts directly and got it to move back and forth. However, the white plastic gear driven by the worm gear has 3 broken teeth. Without that gear with all its teeth - it will never drive the time. My money is on "that part not being available anymore".

3. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    The movement is in a Semca electro-cell clock. The entire product has a clock and a barometer.

4. sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0 Registered User

Nov 5, 2012
    Hi

I believe the type of movement is often referred to as a inverted Sully, or reverse Sully. If you search the Forum for "ODO" you will see a similar type of movement. With the ODO, the gearwheel is made of brass, rather than plastic.

The type of movement was pretty commonly used by companies such as Japy in their battery kitchen wall clocks dated aground 19760's - 1970's. These tend to use the plastic gear wheel. However I have no idea whether theses are interchangeable.

It might be worth taking your movement apart and see whether you could replace the missing teeth pegs with taper pins. As you say, the oscillating balance will not drive the gear train as things stand, so I'm not sure you would have much to lose by attempting a repair ?

Best regards,

Peter

5. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    You can look at another thread titled 1960s Urgo electromechanical clock not functioning . I think that clock has a problem like yours.

6. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, MuensterMann!

I have seen a movement like this one in an Odo clock (also from France) that I have. Mine has a brass gear where yours has plastic. I agree, probably going to be very difficult to find a replacement part. I do not know how hard it might be to make one. It looks reasonably simple, but that doesn't mean it would be easy.

I don't think finding a junk movement to cannibalize for parts is likely either. These seem to be rather rare.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

7. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Yes, it does seem like a simple part, but probably not easy. No spare parts. No used parts. The client says he wouldn't mind a quartz movement. I usually do NOT deal with quartz movements, but thought to give it a try. I am looking a mini-quartz and they provide many measurements, but not the shaft diameter. Does anyone know what the usual diameter sizes are? The present hole size in the dial is 0.2 inches. Thanks!

8. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
  9. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    Looking at all the options, I am not sure which to choose. The present hole in the dial is .2 inches diameter. The dial plate is quite thin. I am not sure about mounting. If anyone has experience with quartz movements, I would like to have some hints. Thanks!