Selling

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Bob Fisher, Apr 2, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bob Fisher

Bob Fisher Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    I know there is no selling allowed, but it there another site for horological items that non members can use? Bob.

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See if you can get here. Might be for members only - not sure.

4. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Other than eBay I've seen some on-line clock auctions but I've never bought or sold there. Usually they only deal with higher valued clocks.

5. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bob, Let me express a personal invitation for you to come join us and become a member of the NAWCC. There are numerous benefits, and this Forum is only one example. Without the NAWCC and the support of its members this Forum would not be availble to any of us including non-members. So come on and join us and help support the NAWCC, and at the same time (pun intended) enjoy the many other privileges as a member. We could use your and all the other non-member's help.

6. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed, NAWCC is a great place to go.
    Still, off we go to "Horo-Misc"... ;)

7. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    BOB I'm sure you've considered this but depending on value and size of your clocks, eBay may just be your best venue for sales. If they are very valuable or large tallcase clocks then perhaps a noted auction house may be a better choice.

8. Bob Fisher

Jul 2, 2012
    Thanks, Scottie, it is a tubular Keinenger movement with everything but weights. Not something that the average person could handle. But the way , I was a member for about 15 Yrs.simply didn't feel I was getting enough out of it. Bob.

9. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could you expand on your point Bob? For example, where was the NAWCC falling short of your expectations?

I think this is the kind of feeback we (NAWCC) needs to have especially from someone who was a member for 15 years. It is not like you just woke up one morning and decided this wasn't your cup of tea. I don't know, you could of provided your feeback when you made your decision. How long ago was this? If it has been a while, then maybe the NAWCC is offering more in your interest now than it did in the past.

10. Bob Fisher

Jul 2, 2012
    I joined when I first felt the need to improve my skills. I took an adult Ed course on clock repair ( from one of the trustees) he may no longer be one. I built my own Mainspring winder and bushing tool. I even progressed to the point of making a spring barrel. The Bulletin did not seem relevant to my needs at the time. I did., however enjoy the Mart. The bulletin seemed to be more theory than handy. I requested help from the museum on two occasions and got no answer. This was all before the Internet and done with snail mail. I am an amateur machinist and comfortable with a lathe and mill and can make most things that I need. BUT, I am 77 and really not the kind of member the assn needs. This has been the case for many years now. The younger folks get all they need from their phones and such. I am a mechanical engineer by profession, and have always enjoyed anything mechanical. Keeping all the clocks in my family running and repaired keeps me out of trouble. Thank for listening to me ramble. Bob.

11. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Very nice Bob. I certainly can understand where you are coming from. You have a few years on me, but not all that many.

I wish that there was a way to get younger members into this hobby / profession. Do you have any suggestions?

12. Bob Fisher

Jul 2, 2012
    Maybe, there is a way for the ASSN to pinpoint the mechanical engineers in college. At least, you know they have an interest in thing mechanical. Possibly a local chapter could pique an interest with a display at some show. Can only speak for one college and that was long ago. Bob.

13. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob - I restore and sell a lot of clocks, and from my experience there are only two reliable venues to sell clocks and parts. Based on your description, eBay is your best bet. You can list it with a reserve if you wish and charge a reasonable shipping cost. The other option is a local auction house that does consignment. The problem with that, in your case, is that there would almost have to be other clocks included in the auction to attract the clock people/buyers.

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lately i tried to sell some clocks, my asking prices are very low. The market right now here is very bad for sellers, but great for buyers. I will hold onto them.
    Ebay is a gamble i have found, you might get what you ask and you might not, depends on how much you dont mind loosing.

15. Bogey

Bogey Registered User

Mar 25, 2005
    Retired Safety Consultant
    Northeast Wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The market varies in different regions of the U.S. That is the biggest reason I turn to eBay because I can reach buyers around the globe. I'm not effected by regional differences in pricing.

eBay doesn't have to be a gamble if you set a reserve. Listing is free if you don't sell your item but you will pay a couple bucks for a reserve price auction. To me, it is worth it just to insure I get what I think the clock is worth.

One more option for selling is Craig's List. It is entirely free and there, too, you can name your own asking price. You can also choose where (what city) you want to list your items.

16. StephanG

StephanG Registered User

Jun 24, 2007
    Australia
    Country Flag:
    Here is a perfect example of why our mart should be open to everyone to use.
    By denying this seller the perceived benefit of listing his clock you have denied the NAWCC a commission on the sale
    and you have denied NAWCC members the chance of first go at buying this item.

A much better benefit to members would be to grow this service as much as we can and then offer NAWCC members discounted rates to use it.

17. Bob Fisher

Jul 2, 2012
    It is unfortunate that I cannot reach the type of person that would appreciate this movement. I just want someone to get it and put it to good use before my kids have to wonder what the hell is this, and what should we do with it? If I were younger I would build a tall case for it, but I already have too many. I am not trying to make money on this, would give it to the right person. Bob.

18. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    You can. Put it on eBay with a "best offer" listing.

But don't be surprised if it brings no profit. (You might even lose money on shipping it, as some of us have at times, despite the best of efforts not to lose money on a transaction.) You told us that you don't care about making a profit. It's likely that a foreign buyer would be all too happy to snatch it up for a pittance.

19. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could also try Craigslists as its free and someone most likely is in the clock hobby would see it.
    I would have a set reserve as that is what i usually do if i sell on Ebay.

20. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did not sell my item on Ebay and still have paid fees. I sold a watch off Ebay and got what i was looking. The highest bid on a watch i had for sale was a joke.
    Sometimes selling locally is better.

21. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    I don't understand this sentence. :confused:

22. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #22 Kevin W., Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    I tried to sell my watch on Ebay, no serious bids i had a reserve which was not even remotley met with a few bids.
    After the auction one of the bidders said he was still interested in the watch. We agreed upon a price and he bought it.
    Hope that explains it ok for you Thyme.