Self Winding Clock Company of N.Y. Tower clock Please help!

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Alan, Oct 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan

Alan Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am looking for help! Tower clock aficionados please look at these pictures.

This is a 4 dial tower clock mechanism made by the Self Winding Clock Company of New York. The clock is essentially a slave mechanism with a motor to drive to the hands. The motor is energized for a few seconds, twice a each minute, with an impulse from a master clock.
    Unfortunately the drive motor and the some of the on/off contact gearing is missing. Arrows show where the missing parts would be.

I hope someone has a similar tower clock or at least has seen a clock like this.
    I am not sure what the missing parts even look like.
    Any information and or photos would be fantastic.

Thank you, Alan

I can be contacted at: jabloore@aol.com

SWCC Tower clock.jpg

SWCC Tower Gear counts & dimensions.jpg

SWCC Tower Clock side.jpg

SWCC Tower missing electrical switch parts.jpg

Peter A. Nunes likes this.
  2. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a Self-Winding tower movement on the campus of Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. (The whole campus used to have a Self-Winding system--one of the founders of Pratt Institute was Charles Pratt, who also founded the Self-Winding Clock Co.). The movement appears a bit different than the one you posted, but the missing parts may be similar. Unfortunately, the long-serving campus engineer has retired, and I'm not sure who you can contact to see the mechanism. The first picture shows the "master" clock on top (now electrified) and the tower clock slave movement below.
    IMG_8491.JPG IMG_8492.JPG

3. Alan

Alan Registered User

Dec 11, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeremy, Thank you very much for the response and the photos. That is the first time I have seen images of the Self Winding Clock Co. tower clock installation at the Pratt Institute. That particular tower clock movement came in 4 sizes, depending on the number and size of the hands. I have attached a catalog image of the movement from a 1908 Self Winding Clock Co. catalog.

Do you know when the images you posted were taken?

If anyone else has images of Self Winding Clock Co. tower or post or bracket clocks, preferably showing the movement, I would very much appreciate seeing them.

Alan

SWCC Tower movement 1908 Catalog.png

4. ElectricTime

ElectricTime Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 28, 2002
    I did checked my files - I just have the same Self Winding catalog - I think as everyone else - inside cover attached.

Cover.jpg

5. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alan, sorry for the slow response. The pictures were taken around two years ago. I probably have a more exact date if you need it.

6. Alan

Alan Registered User

Dec 11, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    • Thank you Tom for checking and thank you Jeremy for your help. Jeremy I just found your very fine post about clocks at the Pratt Institute. Both of the pictured Self Winding Clock Company movements have clues to what I need. The search continues.

7. Alan

Alan Registered User

Dec 11, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have the above referenced Self Winding Clock Co. tower clock restored and running. I actually have two SWCC tower clock movements that I now display and run. The two are connected with sprockets and a chain and I have one or the other driving a set of hands. These tower movements are slave clocks that are controlled by a SWCC master clock.

I have a 6 minute YouTube video showing every thing in operation. You can click on the listing to see it.

SWCC Tower restored.jpg

View attachment 516415

View attachment 516416 SWCC Tower timing disc.jpg SWCC Small Tower .jpg