• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

SWCC Self Winding Clock Co with 661 Movement. Need Wiring & Battery Advice

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
I picked up this Self Winding Clock Co Clock with a 661 movement. I wired it up and looks like not winding.
Attaching pictures. Is this wired correctly? Person said 2 D batteries would be enough?
I have different self winding movements. At what point does this connect to wind?
Appreciated information and advice.
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Popeye, I think that if your relocate the end of the red battery wire shown in your original photo as extending to the left side clock case upper fahnstock clip and re-connect the end of red wire to the lower movement terminal, as shown in the re-worked photo below, the movement will wind hourly after first holding the force-wind-key until the mainspring is initially wound.

Attachments

Last edited:

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
Thanks a bunch! Working and winding, BUT driving me nuts. Running real slow-an hour behind in 3 hours!
Can not figure why. Fooled around with the hands. Pendulum highest but even then slow. Any ideas on what could be the problem and sloution:???:
Wow-nicely done as well as changing the picture of the wire, neat!
Attaching a picture of completed clock if helps. Pendulum looks OK.
Suggestions/advice appreciated.
ALSO THANK ESKMILL!

Attachments

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
Unless something is slipping, your
pendulum is 2.25 times too long.
Is it possible the movement was from another
clock?
Tinker Dwight

popeye

May 8, 2005
Country
I am attaching info on pendulum length. If certain beat 21.3/4 is fine.

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
I would agree with tinker: the pendulum is too long for the movement in your photo and as illustrated on page 661 (book ??) which is likely a 120 beat movement or a 140 beat movement. Both the 120 and 140 beat movements have an 80 tooth escape wheel. As an aside, the 140 beat and 120 beat movements are kind'a hard to tell apart until you count the teeth on the second wheel.

The proper movement for the case shown in your photo would have been an 80 beat movement which has a forth (40) tooth escape wheel and matching verge.

The "F" style or type Self-Winding Clock Company movements were available in 60, 72, 80, 92, 120 and 140 beats per minute. By far, the 120 BPM movements are most commonly found.