• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

SWCC Self-Winding Clock Case, missing pediment

joerg-ehlen

Jan 12, 2008
Dear group,

I have bought a self-winding clock where the pediment is missing. The movement is style C, 80 beats with rotary 3-pole motor.
I want to build a new pediment equal to the original one. I have already found some good quailty pictures of the pediment which belongs to this clock case style, but I am still looking for photos of the back side. It would be important, because there I can see, how the pediment is build and how much parts are used.

P1050268 - Kopie.JPG
My clock

2085b4cdb32c765899974daac6b43770.jpg
This case is similar and uses the missing pediment
seth-thomas-no-30-cherry-wall-regulator.jpg
and this Seth Thomas regulator uses exactly the same case with the missing pediment.

s-l1600Seth Thomas.jpg
I have found this picture of a Seth Thomas regulator pediment at the internet too. It has the highest resolution and I use it for a photometric analysis. But I still need photos of the back side.

Maybe someone can help me?

Thank you

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
It appears that you have an example of the Self Winding Clock number 9 clock case missing pediment parts which are basically the same as used in the Seth Thomas number 30 weight driven clock.

The sides of the pediment are basically of the same mouldings as used in front. There will be differences in the make-up of the rear- top areas depending on which battery your case was designed to be used with. The earlier clock cases were partitioned in the rear for fwo large wet cells and serviced from the top using a ladder, while later builds had dry cells inside the case.

joerg-ehlen

Jan 12, 2008
Hello Eskmill,

yes you are right. For changing the batteries, the face has to be removed. Here is a pic of the clock without face:
P1050263 - Kopie.JPG

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuburnEduProf
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions