• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Self Winding Case Identification Help

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
I picked up this case, with a S.T. key wind time only monster of a movement installed, because I realized it was a self winding battery case. 2 #6 cell slots are in the top. What I’m trying to identify is what manufacture marketed this case? It looks close, but no cigar, to a #10 SWCC. The bottom splat, corner designs and crown are all different or non existent. I‘m wondering if it’s a New York Standard Co case? An unusual thing is the door lock/latch as it’s similar to the American Clock Co using a square male end key to turn vs a female key, similar to some SWCC or S.T. cases.
Cheers,
James

01755F34-DABC-4543-ABF1-A1CE74176B33.jpeg 432DD19F-8DC8-4EBF-9F1F-5F90FFA7734D.jpeg 5513C5C6-0B4E-41B5-8365-C17842DBBE0E.jpeg 37B484A2-A0DD-4A6A-BCAA-1B060870A26E.jpeg D946A142-4DA5-47BA-85C2-0D092DD70D26.jpeg 231261C1-75E6-4749-B59D-9525524B28CB.jpeg

Reactions: Kevin W.

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
This is a New York Standard #20 case. The original iron mounting bracket was attached to the backboard by 4 screws sometimes using a spacer board and sometimes round wood spacers under each screw to get the dial located correctly.
I think the bezel is the original as it appears to be the correct profile.
The hardest part to restore this is trying to locate the correct pendulum. It is a made of two pieces of cast iron rectangular in shape held together by a large brass clip. I have never seen one for sale. The movement was 120 beats.

Reactions: Dave T

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Outstanding! Thanks jkfabulous! I was actually planning on using the case for one of my NY Standard movements I’ve had rattling around for years! I thought that little beat scale/ramp in the bottom of the case looked familiar.
Any chances of finding a picture of the pendulum and or dimensions/weight? These cases seem to be rarer than the long case wall regulators. We’re the dials a 2 piece setup with the pan tab soldered to the bezel?
The guy I bought this from told me his dad restored/replaced the movement/got it running about 15-20 or more years ago and it came from upstate NY.
I going to ask him in the off chance he might still have the bits.
Oh, and we’re the cases a mahogany color or more of a dark oak? He stripped it as it was apparently painted green at 1 point!
Cheers,
James

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
I do not have pictures or info on pendulum. Maybe some past posts showed it. Try search.
Stick was wood with typical metal fixings and star adjuster wheel like their other models.
The catalog list pendulum weight at two pounds.but I think it was actually heavier.
Dial was just a flat zinc plate 11 5/8 OD held in place with soldered on fold over tabs attached to the bezel. Came as a sub second, a sweep second or no seconds.Used three screws to hold dial and bezel assembly to movement posts.
According to the catalog cases came in oak or mahogany. I have owed at least eight of these and have never seen a mahogany cased
one. If the mahogany is like most of their big clocks with some exceptions of real mahogany it is actually cherry stained to look like mahogany. The finish on the ones I have had was a nice slightly darkened orange shellac over natural oak. I am sure you could get it in a darkened oak as that was quite popular in the teens and early 20's.
There are a few slight variations of top and bottom trim common on some and the door lock can be as yours or sometimes just a typical brass door hook.

Reactions: Jmeechie