Seldom a winner

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Dec 31, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    In yesterday's post I remarked with some joy that gasoline was $2.39 a gallon.

The joy was very short-lived. Tomorrow we get two gasoline increases in Penna. 10c per gallon and an increase from the suppliers of gasoline to the gas stations.

Well, at least I got one fill up just in time. You just cannot win for losing!

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, you must remember the gas wars, gas at 17 cents a gallon. I go as far back as 25.9 per gallon, scrounging up $3 between us high schoolers to ride around in a friends '66 Bonneville or my mother's '57 Olds 88 for a hundred miles at 6-8 miles to the gallon. Sure beats the $4+ per gallon a little over a year ago. I sure it will get there again once this King dies in Saudi Arabia.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Richiec:

I go back farther than you may think...in 1938, I remember paying 11c a gallon.The pump had a handle which was cranked and the gas meter showed how much was pumped. I had a Dodge rumble seat, green, 6 cylinder car. It was a 1932 that I bought in 1938 for $120.00...I borrowed the money from a friend.

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dan,

You should move to Texas. Take a look at www.gasbuddy.com and enter in any major Texas city. I just paid 1,81 9/10

Now for the down side, any location that you want to drive to is ten times further than in PA.

All the best in 2015

Dick

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan you still have cheap gasoline compared to what Canadians pay.

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, my first was a 1964 Chevelle Malibu with a 283, 4 barrel engine for $200. My father was so incensed that I bought a car, even though they hated that we were using my mothers car and beating it up. I told him I had a full time job, wouldn't ask him for any money and proceeded to take the engine apart on his newly paved driveway which I had to pay to repair the hole in after the transmission dumped fluid all over it and rotted a hole in it. I had a 31 year career as an auto mechanic and learned a lot redoing this car and the next one, a '66 Caprice which I put the engine from the Malibu into after smacking the Malibu up in the Poconos. I had a lot of fun with cars throughout my life. My current car is a 2014 V-6 Mustang, my 6th since my '64 convertible.

7. DJH584

DJH584 Newbie

Jun 21, 2013
    Coach Driver
    Clacton On Sea
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And in the UK, your US gallon is approximately USD$6.25!!!!

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read in the paper that the powers that be want to take advantage of the lower prices to add another huge tax to gas nationally! You can't outrun those greedy b_____ds!

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, I suppose that is what keeps our gas prices high. It is around $.90 a liter, which would be about $3.60 a US gallon. Our lower dollar compared to the US dollar isn't helping either. Seems it wasn't that long ago when the price for a barrel of oil was pretty close to what a liter of gas cost, as in $50 a barrel, $.50 a liter.

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went down to 84 cents a litre here, back to 96 last time i looked, people living in the States are still getting a good deal when you do the math. The consumer is not often the winner.

11. Paul Sullivan

Paul Sullivan Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired.
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And who might they be?

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Politicians.

jakematic likes this.
  13. Paul Sullivan

Paul Sullivan Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired.
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Politicos for sure. This year a referendum was floated here in MA. to tie the gas tax to the the consumer price index for inflation. The idea was to regenerate additional revenue for the maintenance of roads and transportation infrastructure.This was seen as here "taxation without representation". Granted we desperately need need infrastructure overhaul and improvement not only here in MA, but all over the country, our roads, river ways, locks, and bridges are literally falling apart. The measure was defeated by a 53% no vote. Do we need the additional revenue? Absolutely! I live in the greater Boston area and things here are very deplorable. Yet legislators seem to fear anything that relates to the word tax, except when it comes to sheltering large corporations, who use our roads, bridges, harbors, etc. for their business. I would be in favor of paying my share if the large companies paid also. We all must share the responsibility.

14. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Local politicians are so afraid of taxing the corporations because then they move to other states that give them tax shelters, like Georgia and New Jersey. Georgia is wooing Mercedes corporate with 40 Million in tax incentives and New Jersey is going to counter that offer. We are already the one of the most heavily taxed states in the country and we give the rich people breaks and pass it onto the middle class. When I stop working, I am getting the hell out of Dodge so to speak, Chris Christie, bah.

15. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #15 doug sinclair, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    On January 4, gas in Calgary is 81.9 (Canadian) per litre. That is with 10% ethanol, as I understand it. Convert to the US gallon and the U.S. dollar, that works out to about $2.63 per US gallon in US dollars, the way I figure it. Aside from Edmonton, that is the best price in Canada. I understand Edmonton is a few cents cheaper. First car I owned was a 1949 Mercury, in 1960, when gas was 47.9 cents for a Canadian gallon. Alberta is the biggest source for petroleum in Canada, and yet we still pay more than our US brethren.

in April 2013, I paid 158.9 (Cdn.) per litre, in Vancouver! In 2000, we were driving a rented Mercedes Benz in Scotland. That was 37.5 cents per MILE! Never paid more for gas in my Lifetime! We can count our blessings, I guess!

16. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Right now gas is $2.89 in Iowa. That's very low for us lately.