Seikosha - Japanese... Zenith???

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by pmwas, Jul 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all!!
    This time I've got a watch from Far East - a Japanese Seikosha Precision.

I've read - briefly - some history notes on Seikosha, and found some information of Japanese owners journeying around the world to see how watches were made. That included both America and Europe, and since the early Seikosha caliber looks pretty much alike Waltham and Waltham was also present on Japanese market - I thought maybe I could proove Seikosha movement to be Waltham's distant relative…

Thus, I bought a cheapish Seikosha watch on eBay and only two days ago - it arrived at my door.

The initial contact was promising - the watch had a male stem mounted in a sleeve in the pendant and screw down back and bezel…

DSC00047.JPG

As I've didassembled the watch, it - in fact - stopped looking American...

DSC00048.JPG

Instead of a Waltham clone, I've found this:

DSC00049.JPG

Looks familiar? Well - yes, in fact - this is Zenith's keyless works.

DSC09681.JPG

It's not just similar, it's a direct copy - who knows, maybe made under license?
    Getting back to the watch - it's badly worn, very much, it has a bad lower bearing allowing way too much sideshake, and it has poorly engineered, cone shaped bearings, that make assembling much more difficult.

DSC00060.JPG

Notice the small screw just by the crown wheel - it's not the stem release screw - this locks the keyless works in the winding position when screwed in...

If you look at the shape pf the pallet bridge…

DSC09688.JPG

Zenith - again…

DSC00072.JPG

The movement runs, but with too much sideshake, the balance will ocasionally hit something in dial-down position.

DSC00080.JPG

The movement in all it's glory. A cheaper 7 jewel version.

DSC00078.JPG

The case is chrome plated and the dial is painted metal.

Now - I've not found any known association between Zenith and Seikosha, also, I've not counted the teeth to check the gear ratios. However - the resemblence of the movements is so big, I doubt this could be coincidence.
    It looks like Seikosha copied, or bought Zenith's design for their watches at a certain point of time.

Anyway - an interesting piece of world's watchmaking history.
    Glad I decided to buy it, another lesson learned :)

P.S.

Here's my brother's Seiko dial repair - he'd dropped his cheap Seiko a few times and broke off the dial feet.
    I took off the dial, drilled it and riveted the original feet to it.
    I scratched the dial mildly doing so, but works.

DSC00005.JPG

A tiny drop of paint should mask the feet nicely, but I decided to let them be, to be able to look proudly at my repair ;)

Have a nice day :) !!!

2. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting movement.

With the seiko dials, I repair the older dials that way too, there is simply not enough room to solder a foot in place and this is the strongest repair, I used to have customers that would regularly break dial feet off either off repaired dials or new ones, until I repaired the feet by drilling and riveting them, even when I one of these watches in years later, the dial is still fixed firmly.