Seiko: Real or Fake?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by everydaycats, Dec 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. everydaycats

everydaycats Registered User

Aug 11, 2011
    Retired
    Mexico Beach, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have run across many Seiko 5 watches recently on an auction site that I'm not sure are real or fake. These watches appear to be Seiko and have 6309 caliber movements according to pics of case backs, but I wonder what is really inside. I can't imagine that faking an old Seiko would yield good money, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks for any input.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 11.47.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 11.46.49 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 11.45.51 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 11.55.27 AM.png

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see those too on a regular basis. Can't say if they are real or not, but I stay away from them. They're plentiful and the price is always less. Red flags to me.

Kevin W. likes this.
  3. everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
    Retired
    Mexico Beach, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Really odd that one or two sellers have many examples of these Seiko looking things and they are both from the southern US border. Makes me wonder if they are coming across border from the south. I may sacrifice a few dollars and buy one just to see what's inside. Seems like lots of trouble for not much money.

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Might be a good idea. Buy it on the basis of expecting it to be a fake, and see what happens. Be sure and let us know. I'm interested too. I reckon that says, you pay for it, and tell me what you got! :)

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. everydaycats

Aug 11, 2011
    Retired
    Mexico Beach, FL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll take one for the team...:D

Dave T likes this.
  6. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    I would expect to find a real Seiko movement, probably in poor condition but running. I think someone in India is manufacturing those dials, and I think a lot of them look pretty great actually. I hope they eventually use those skills to start doing quality vintage redials for folks worldwide.

I think there are probably a zillion Seikos in India that have succumbed to monsoon season over the years and they are getting freshened up with new dials.

Dave T and Kevin W. like this.
  7. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I have noticed some dealers in India who sell refurbished HMT watches frequently have some Seikos also.

8. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Definitely originate in India, bought on eBay then resold for a higher mark up.