Seiko pressmatic

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Pressmatic was unknown to me until I bought 2 at estate sale $60. Sold the good used one and kept the fine condition backup twin. Seems to be a fine quality auto winder with a very visible date display set by stem pressing. Was it a popular and respected model? I think it ought to be. artbissell

a sko dialx.jpg a sko mva.jpg

Serial 1000007 a sko backx.jpg

a sko dialx.jpg a sko mva.jpg a sko back.jpg a sko backx.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Nice looking watch Art, never heard of that model before, about how old do you think it is.

captainscarlet

Oct 15, 2013
Country
Region
Nice watch Art. Your serial dates the watch to Jan 68. Hand winding and hacking seconds:)

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
ah, I just assumed all automatics were, I didn't know some were not.

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
Yes auto wind with auxiliary hand winding

Shows how ahead of the game Seiko was, ball raced auto weight, hacking, fine adjuster for regulation

Seiko5106A.jpg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Art, is this a hi beat movement.

dAz57

Dec 7, 2011
sydney Australia
Country
Region
Find the whole PDF on Cousins site, no, not hi-beat but reading a bit of history on these, Seiko used a version in their Grand Seiko which were hi-beat, not to say that this movement couldn't be adjusted to chronometer levels, nice watch, good find.

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
Only Swiss w.w. I have comparable is same age and condition Omega chronometer day date that is nice and 5 times value. I prefer the Presmatic to use and presently the Omega day date is not settable. I suppose Seiko sold 100 to 1 Omega, although neither are common on ebay. Art

IMG_8782aa.jpg IMG_8778ax.jpg IMG_8783xx.jpg

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
here is a robust on-line sellers claims. Cannot verify, but looks legit. "Seiko’s “Presmatic” line, so named for it’s quickset feature (a hexagonal button within the crown that allows for instant date change), was a showcase in technical achievement, eventually culminating in a few high beat models that were the western market cousins of the JDM King Seiko Line. This early example from September of ‘68 also had a domestic market counterpart known as the Seikomatic-P. Both were short lived with a production range of only about two years, but either are certainly a worthwhile addition to any collection. The 5106 is packed with 33 jewels, all of which are functional, that provide near friction free performance across the entire movement. It can be manually or automatically wound, has hacking seconds, and an instant, rather than rolling, date change."

Reactions: artbissell

artbissell

NAWCC Member
Dec 4, 2009
Boulder, CO Foothills
Region
here is a robust on-line sellers claims. Cannot verify, but looks legit. "Seiko’s “Presmatic” line, so named for it’s quickset feature (a hexagonal button within the crown that allows for instant date change), was a showcase in technical achievement, eventually culminating in a few high beat models that were the western market cousins of the JDM King Seiko Line. This early example from September of ‘68 also had a domestic market counterpart known as the Seikomatic-P. Both were short lived with a production range of only about two years, but either are certainly a worthwhile addition to any collection. The 5106 is packed with 33 jewels, all of which are functional, that provide near friction free performance across the entire movement. It can be manually or automatically wound, has hacking seconds, and an instant, rather than rolling, date change."
As usual appreciate your practical and informative comments. It is a fine practical watch for this 90 year geezer. Unlike the original owner I do not need 2. art b

Reactions: Jeff Hess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller