seiko movement needed [qqz885a]

dennis

New User
May 21, 2022
Country
My Seiko clock [qqz885a] quarts movement has no life at all. Where can I buy a new one or is this fixable?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
I daresay you can fit many quartz movements. You do need the length of the spindle to be short enough to fit the clock and one that uses the same hands. Best way is to take the movement out and measure these things.
There are numerous sites you can find these replacement movements. Here is one of many in Australia. (because my search naturally looks in Australia first) However there are many and you should look around in your country for the best price perhaps but do make sure you get genuine Seikosha movements.
However, There are many small things that may stop such clocks that are relatively easily fixed by capable people.
Have you done any tests?

Last edited:

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
“qqz885a” appears to be the number for the clock. If you look for a number on the quartz movement itself, you should be able to find a replacement with an internet search. American and European/Asian quartz movements are not interchangeable, at least from my experience searching for a replacement quartz movement.

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
I recently purchased a Seiko chiming movement to replace the movement in an old electric clock from Mt Vernon Clock Company, who sells on eBay. The key for you will be finding a movement that the existing hands will fit....

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers, Rod

dennis

New User
May 21, 2022
Country
“qqz885a” appears to be the number for the clock. If you look for a number on the quartz movement itself, you should be able to find a replacement with an internet search. American and European/Asian quartz movements are not interchangeable, at least from my experience searching for a replacement quartz movement.

I have searched the internet for a replacement quarts movement for this clock but can"t come up with anything. This is a Seiko world time clock, probably about 40 years old. It has a gear coming out from the front of the movement that drives the time zone plates of the clock. The stem of the movement is not threaded, the hands are secured by snap rings. The movement is 2.1" x 2.1" x 1/2" thick. The stem is 5/8" long.

seiko 2.jpg seiko 1.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I see two numbers on your quartz movement; 44502C and 5119H. Did you look for a movement with those numbers?

dennis

New User
May 21, 2022
Country
I see two numbers on your quartz movement; 44502C and 5119H. Did you look for a movement with those numbers?
Yes I went to the internet with those two numbers in the battery case area and got no results. On E-Bay there are clocks like this for sale identifed by the qq2885a number and yes this seems to be the clock number but nuthing ties it to the movement. A fresh battery and clean contact points has not helped. I hate to open this movement up as I am 89 years old and my eyes are not what they were a few years ago.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
You are right. I could find nothing after searching for a half hour. I could not find any quartz movements with that front drive gear. That world clock model by Seiko regularly comes up for auction on shopgoodwill.com. Most aren’t tested, but they are usually inexpensive.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
This is a continuous movement. I think it possible that it hasn't failed as much as the lubrication is now glue and the rotor needs the fine magnetic dust removed from it. If you knnow someone who can do this then it may go. Have you put your best spectacles on and looked to see if the wheels try to move with a new battery?

Otherwise, you can still get continuous movements but you may need to drill a hole and use the old minute wheel from your world clock to make it work the same.

dennis

New User
May 21, 2022
Country
This is a continuous movement. I think it possible that it hasn't failed as much as the lubrication is now glue and the rotor needs the fine magnetic dust removed from it. If you knnow someone who can do this then it may go. Have you put your best spectacles on and looked to see if the wheels try to move with a new battery?

Otherwise, you can still get continuous movements but you may need to drill a hole and use the old minute wheel from your world clock to make it work the same.
I would like to thank everyone for all the suggestions on trying to get this clock working again. I will just keep my eyes open for a replacement movement that will work in this clock. Thanks again for all the help.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Seiko isn't an easy company to deal with but, if they have the movement, they will usually sell it to you.

If they don't have the movement, your chances will narrow to: fixing the old one, or buying whatever unknown like movement you can find. :(

Keep us posted. They sold a lot of these little clocks back in the day, so what you discover might help someone else.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phred01
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner