Clock Seiko Mechanism

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Sunshine Chuck, Sep 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sunshine Chuck

Sunshine Chuck Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My daughter has an older Seiko Westminster/Whittington wall clock with the markings “QXD102BC SMRW”. It operates with 4 AA batteries. The battery holder and mechanism form one case – one battery left followed by the mechanism, then three batteries on the right. I’ve tried many avenues to find a replacement mechanism to no avail. It was one of her wedding presents.

Seiko 2.jpg Seiko 1.jpg

2. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Sunshine Chuck

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much. I'll see if it's possible to fit.

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here's another possible source: Timesavers

I wouldn't worry so much about it having to contain the batteries. You could probably work around that part.

5. Sunshine Chuck

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Don't know how familiar you are with the mechanism you suggest. Looks like I can work with it. If I'm correct, the holder for the speaker on that unit can be removed (I need the space). I would use the speaker that comes with the replacement, but I'm not sure it will fit in the separate compartment this clock has for the speaker. In order to get at this compartment it appears that I must remove the face and I'm not sure how it attaches. The hands are off and shaft and mechanism removed. The decorative rim around the face can be lifted slightly at some points. I'm afraid of breaking it. Another option I thought of was to merely splice the wires reusing the existing speaker, but I'm not sure if the speakers (new and old) are compatible. Would appreciate your input.

6. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not familiar with this particular clock. But, after you remove the hands and the nut that holds the movement, it is most likely held in place by some rubber spacers and glue pads. Unless you see some screws mounted from the back.

7. Sunshine Chuck

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely correct. Managed to get front and back off the mounting board. Looks like doubleback tape. Speaker is same size and on the one you suggest. Looked on eBay and there are a few of the same mechanisms, one with a shorter shaft which would work to my advantage. Will order one today. So I think you've solved my problem. Thanks so much for your help.

Dave T likes this.