Seiko fanboy

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Sep 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    not meant to be a scholarly article....just some stuff I found on the web.
    Obviously I have a love of American watches. And German and Swiss as well. But here is the story of a fellow could be called the Bill Gates of his time. The young nerd worked in his parent's house as a teen. Like Gates in his garage young Kintaro ("Kin" to his friends) opened up his shop in his Mom & Dads house as a teen. His mind was keen, his mood serious and his nerd-ness measured in 20th-century levels, unsurpassed. His genius was phenomenal and his intensity was remarkable. When he started his own little factory, he thought out of the box. He brought into the factory, as a perk, local teachers to teach the workers better grammar and better math skills. His personality and perseverance were so terrific that he was welcomed into the Waltham and Elgin Factories in the USA to study them. In spite of American factories paranoia about sharing their "Secrets". And, as he proved over and over in his lifetime, when he learned something, he improved on it. Did it better. Innovation was his major. But he was a double major. He also took ideas from others, added his own hard work, his own improvements, and his own innovations and made a better product. He befriended the public. And he befriended bankers. And some of these bankers were watch aficionados. And he did not stop. And the fruit of his labor was abundant. And good to look upon. Both American and Swiss watch industry mavens tried hard to keep this company down. But Kintaro's spirit lives on. One wonders what the future will bring. (Pictured Kintaro himself as a young man, A hand made incredibly accurate movement, and one of my favorite dials from Grand Seiko, the Winter Snow dial, which not only is a marvel of design but seems to encompass not only the deep snow of winter but is reminiscent of Mokume-gane (木目金) metalwork. Astounding. 02065001433_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=B4cDf2ivZ7UAX-KRgZp&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.jpg wgQVBUz3OhTSFjuk82_WjrJxa4vNd03hgJlO2D_AsoGGCR9EUu7tS1TWEaKa7JAjlYlX7FSf&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1.jpg 01336472423_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3Wz05D_jpU4AX8kPKjt&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.jpg

Rick Hufnagel, viclip, Dave T and 4 others like this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thats a beautiful watch Jeff. I have always liked Seiko watches.

3. Bryan Eyring

Bryan Eyring Registered User

Dec 11, 2007
    Male
    Director of Manufacturing, Aerospace
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has anyone ever seen a free-sprung or detent escapement Seikosha product?

I have not but would be interested to know if others have.