Seiko 5 Sports - Crown and Stem fell out

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
I picked up my Seiko 5 this morning to put it on my wrist and maybe nudge the time forward a minute and noticed the crown has disappeared. I do have a faint memory of doing something and feeling the side of the watch brush up against something a couple of days ago. I like the watch, but how hard would it be to get a replacement crown and I think stem? Is it worth doing, cost wise? Unless it's just a press in, I'm not qualified to open up the case.

IMG_3469.JPG

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
You need to check if it is the crown that has come loose OR if it is the crown AND stem.

Either way you may want to open the watch to:

1 - Remove the stam if it is still there. (You can't screw a new crown tight on the stem with the stem still in the movement.)

2 - If the stem is missing you need to need to find out why it came loose. (E.g. is there a problem with the lever?)

So Yes, the watch needs to be opened. And if you need to order parts you need to identify the caliber to get the correct stem.

I think you are best off by contacting a local watchmaker who should be able to order and install parts needed. (Unfortunately they may request that they first clean the movement and then the price will go up.) Is itworth it? Can't say, you have to make that judgement when you get a quote......

The easiest way would be to search for the missing part. If you can find the crown and stem you could give it a VERY small amount of watch greese on the stem and try to push it back in place. At least some of the Seiko movements will accept the stem by just pushing it in from the outside. Just make sure it doesn't come out next time you pull the crown.

Good luck!

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
When you say Seiko 5, you are talking about a watch which has borne this name on the dial for more than 50 years. A lot of different movements have been used. Only the more recent quartz types are likely to lose the whole stem and crown assembly. Most of the mechanical models would break the stem before losing it by just falling out. If the dial is not rotating then it is probable that part of the stem still exists/persists.

Last edited:

S_Owsley

NAWCC Member
Jan 24, 2011
San Francisco
Country
Region
Perhaps I wasn't clear when I described the watch. 7S36C 23 jewels. Probably about 10 years old. Perhaps there is a service center I should send it to? Not sure if it would be cheaper or better to just buy a replacement used one? No sentimental value, I just like the watch and leather strap combination as a whole and it didn't cost me a lot several years ago when I bought it gently used.

IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3478.JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Shine a torch light down the pipe while looking closely, you may see the broken stem. You can poke around with a needle but if it only goes in so far and not past the edge of the dial, it is likely there is still the inner section of the broken stem still in situ.
If you are game to take the back off, it is not difficult to use a pusher to remove the old stem and replace a new one.
To order the new stem and crown; You will need to quote the whole case number off the back. ie: 7S36-xxxxx
If and when you are replacing the crown, do use some silicone on the crown "o" rings.

Reactions: S_Owsley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fed1984
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre