Seeking suggestions for stocking and labeling KWM bushing box.

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Hudson, Mar 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought a Timesavers wood bushing box (#11715). Looks nice and handy. It has 60 compartments in rows; 10 across and 6 down. It has a dovetailed sliding top.

The charts show 147 different KWM bushings. Which ones are used a lot and which ones are almost never used?

• For those of you that use the KWM system, what sizes do you recommend?
    • For those of you that have the same bushing box or similar bushing box, how do you have it organized?

• I have purchased a couple of KWM bushing assortments that have been useful, but I only have these 19 sizes currently.
      L- 38,39,40,41,42,43,88,44,89,100,102,102,103,104,105,106,107,108,109

• I do have a Sherline lathe and can make the occasional (especially larger sized) bushing.

A picture of a labeled box would be helpful.

2. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The box is great and I have had mine for over thirty years. You should have two. The first is labeled 0-9 horizontally and 1-6 vertically. The numbering then reads the vertical number followed by the horizontal number. Example: L-69 is the lower right corner. I suggest that as you rarely need bushings 01-09. They can be left in the package if and when you ever get them. Nth e second box thenmyoumcan label 0-9 across the top and 7-12 across the bottom. That way the upper left number is L-70 and bottom right is L-129. The set complete goes up to L-147 although many have it only up to L-137. As a result you two boxes will Contain most of the sizes possible in an organized manner. You will not regret it. As a bushing manufacturer I will try to get the most common numbers for you and if you decide you want to fill out the set and give you a manufacturer's price as a MB member

3. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark, thanks. Just what I needed. I'll get back to you regarding your offer. I've made a chart showing the two boxes marking the bushing positions as you described. This would be a neat way to cover a wide range.

Attached Files:

4. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes that is it exactly. It gives you organization and helps make bushing a joy.

5. emhitch

emhitch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2009
    medical device design engineer
    pittsburgh, pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too, purchased the wooden bushing box from TS. I created an Excel spreadsheet to exactly align the KWM bushing numbers with the holes in the box (OK, a little over the top I guess). Just another idea I thought I would share. I get so very much from everyone on the MB and it seems I rarely am able to make a contribution (although I hope this is a contribution and not confusion!). Since we are unable to upload any files other than photos or videos, here is a screenshot of the Excel sheet. bushing box label.jpg Let me know if you would like this Excel file and I could send it to you by private message; just give me your e-mail address.

Attached Files:

6. emhitch

emhitch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2009
    medical device design engineer
    pittsburgh, pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sorry; I guess my upload attempt of the Excel file worked...now you have it.

7. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks.

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For those who do not already have a wooden box, we have a new idea for holding bushings that I just mentioned under clock repair. We have 2" x2"x about 6" lightweight mailing boxes. We have them longer as well. Our 2" square zip lock 4 mil bushing bags fit in it snugly and exactly. The bags are numbers with the KWM l number along with the OD,ID, and height on a label and the bags can be put in the box from 1-147 in order. The same can be done with Bergeon. The box can be closed when not used and only 1 bag is open at a time. One can drop it,kickit,whatever and all is secure. No more OMG moments with a dropped box. We sent one to Hudson and he can comment when he receives it.