• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Seeking photo of E.N. Welch o.g. Glass painting

MikeFields

Feb 4, 2021
Country
Hello, I’m interested in restoring the glass painting on an E.N. Welch 8-day O.G. That I got at an antique mall. I’ve attached a photo of what it looks like now. I can’t make out much of the corner detail. Does anyone own a clock with a similar painting that they’d be willing to share with me as a guide? Thanks so much in advance!

242D6961-74B6-410F-BDD9-701851FBD141.jpeg

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you don't get a pic here, try the clock general forum. One of those guys might have a pic for you.

Reactions: MikeFields

MikeFields

Feb 4, 2021
Country
Sir, thank you so much! Exactly what I was looking for. It's definitely not etched as can scrape a dot of it off the front with my fingernail, so it must be painted/frosted. I wish I had a clearer closer photo of the tablet so I could tell the grain size. I'd also like to see more of the bottom florals but beggars can't be choosy. On ebay/amazon, I found a pkg of 500 "14kt gold" or "Made in the USA" oval stickers which are about 1/2" x 5/16", the same size as the multitude of leaves on the design. I'm going to put the stickers on the glass and get a frosted glass spray can and see if the frosting is fine enough granularity, if not I'll brush on.
I appreciate your time!

Last edited:

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Your original glass sounds like it is stenciled using varnish and a silver stenciling powder.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The glasses in these clocks are often called etched when many are not. I pulled the attachment together sometime back to further the discussion and thoughts around these sorts of glasses. It may be of interest, maybe not.

Attachments

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre