Seeking opinions on how far to restore my tower clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Stotman, Nov 25, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hello all, I am welcoming all opinions on how far I should restore my Seth Thomas #2 tower clock.

I spoke to the guy I purchased it from and he informed me it came from a Jewelry Store in Gloversville, NY.

I looked up the record and discovered this clock was used to replace the old movement in a Brown Street Clock. This would explain the light corrosion and oxidation on the movement.

I am definitely going to dismantle and clean the clock. A lot of the old gold paint is gone from the pendulum and suspension bar. Of course the brass is oxidized.

My question is, do I polish and paint the appropriate parts, so it looks new again, or clean it up and keep it pretty much the same.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Files:

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Burkhard Rasch, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    IMHO it's a matter of personal taste.Even if You polished all brass parts and removed all rust from the steel parts Your clock would not look like new.What I do is:I polish brass because I like it shiny,then apply wax to prevent tarnishing.I don't laquer.Same with steel parts,the originaly laquered/painted parts I´d leave alone as long as the original paint is stable.But as said that's a personal opinion.
    Best
    Burkhard

3. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
  4. jakematic

jakematic Registered User

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great news Stotman.

Post an update now and again here please to remind us.
    I know my memory isn't what it used to be :whistle:

5. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    You got it.

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Burkhard Rasch, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    saw Your two clocks:gorgeous!Congrats to both! BTW do You know that E.Korfhage is still in business ,actual owner is E.Korfhage 5th generation.I've had contact with him several times and have found him a verry handsome and helpfull guy,just in case You needed infos or parts.He has a huge collection of towerclocks both by his ancestors and other firms.
    Burkhard