Seeking information on a mantel clock serial number

Discussion in 'General Clock Inquiries' started by Orafist, Mar 2, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Before you start adjusting the minute hand collet, try this.
    Move the minute hand to the point, where you get the 1st quarter chime.
    Adjust the collet then to that "quarter" after position.
    After refastening the hands, move the minute hand further on, until it
    reaches the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarter chime and strikes the hour. Wait until each
    chime has ended, before advancing the hand again. Count the hour strikes.
    Then move the hour hand (it's a friction fit) to the time that had been struck.
    That should set the chimes in sequence.

2. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator

Nov 4, 2002
    I might have misread your problem. If it's chiming the halfhour chime at 3/4 hour, for instance, the minute hand can be taken off, and moved back 90 degrees. Since it's bushing is square, it can be put on at any 15 minute position.

3. Orafist

Orafist Registered User

Mar 2, 2012
    #23 Orafist, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    the hands are held in place by what seems to be a bent pin that runs through the "square" the hands are on, is this the taper pin you mentioned?

4. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Yes. It's hard to see it in your picture. You will need to straighten it and pull it out to remove the hand, if you need the hand removed.

5. Orafist

Orafist Registered User

Mar 2, 2012
    #25 Orafist, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    thank you Harold, I think that hand will need to come off. if I could trouble you with another question, if you look at the right side of my movement above the hammers there seems to be an adjustable "bar" could this be a selector for different chimes? as a related question is it ok to run in extended silent mode, like leaving it on silent for days??

6. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    Your clock only has Westminister chimes, not enough chime rods for others. The black bar piece at the bottom right is to lock the chime rods for transportation, and should not touch the rods when using the clock. It shouldn't hurt the clock to put it on silence, as long as the chime correction is working properly.

7. Orafist

Orafist Registered User

Mar 2, 2012
    yes you helped me understand the purpose of the black bar for chime storage, by "bar" I mean the brass bar on the right hand side of the movement above the hammers

8. harold bain

Nov 4, 2002
    If you mean the one on the left side in your picture, I don't think it does anything as it sits now. It looks like it would have been a chime hammer arrestor to silence them.

9. Orafist

Orafist Registered User

Mar 2, 2012
    Yes Harold, I did mean the brass bar on the left, thank you.