Seeking Information on a Baylor Woman's Gold and Diamond Pendant Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jameslaz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jameslaz

jameslaz Registered User

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

My Mother left me a Baylor woman's gold and diamond pendant watch. She inherited it form my grandmother and it was purchased by my grandfather. I was told as a child that it was made of gold and diamond and that my grandfather may have had it customized. No one is left in my family to fill in the blanks and I have looked on line but can not find any information on this watch. I do not think it is very old, I think my grand father purchased it in Oregon in the early 1970's but I am not certain.

I just want to know what it is, do I need to insure it, is it worthless, is this THE family heirloom I should keep and pass along when I go?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

James

View attachment 355927
    View attachment 355928

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the hands, like a little 18th century bracket clock.

Baylor was a name used by Zales for house branded watches.

3. jameslaz

jameslaz Registered User

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the reply, I am not sure why this is so hard to find on-line, if Zales sold it you would think there would be a million of them out there. I think it is a very beautiful watch, but I just want more details. It's sad when there is no one left in the family who knows about heirlooms.

Also my grandfather was the type to either buy form a mall store like Zales on a spur of the moment buy or have something customer made and hand crafted, he was not a middle of the road sort of a man so it very well could be from Zales.

4. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    Welcome to the board, James:)

It's impossible to give you any details of what you have without seeing the movement. I guess that the back is a clip-on which you would remove by gently prising it off with a sharp blade - I think I see a flange in the top right corner of the rim in your second photo where you would insert the blade. If you're uncertain then your friendly local jeweller may remove it for you :rolleyes:

It will be impossoible to assess whether or not the stones set in the rim are diamonds - the same local jeweller (or most pawn shops) will have a device which will tell them instantly what the stones are.

When you remove the back cover, you should find some marks insode that cover which will tell you about the material of the case - take a photo and sho us that too.

We can't discuss the value of the watch in this forum, but once we have finished our discussion here you will be able to start a new discussion of value in our separate valuations forum if you wish.

5. jameslaz

jameslaz Registered User

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
  6. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 16, 2008
    UK
    Country Flag:
    The inside back cover is inscribed "FHF 90" which means that the movement was made by Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon, a high volume watch manufacturer in the Swiss town of Fontainemelon, and the calibre (the movement pattern) is 69. It appears that a number of variations were made of this calibre between 1962-1966, and you can see pictures of these at Dr Roland Ranfft's website where you should enter "FHF 69" in the search box.

The case is of course made of 14 carat solid gold, but the chain probaby is not solid gold. If it is, there will probably be some kind of assay mark on the clasp.

7. jameslaz

jameslaz Registered User

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Martin,
    Thank you again for the great information. I am so glad I found this great site!! You are correct, I can find no markings on the chain so I assume it is nothing special, may not be the original for all I know. I was pleased to see the 14K marks as at least I now know it's not just a cheap knock off even thought I realize this is not a rare or valuable time piece. I know is it not appropriate to discus value on this site, could someone recommend a proper site that may help with that?

Thank you,
    James

8. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    As Marty already said, it is almost impossible to give a valuation on this without actually having the watch in front of you. Only then can one know if they are real diamonds. As he said, a local jeweler will be able to test them and tell you immediately. You would not be able to do this on an internet site.

Find out if the stones are diamonds, ask the jeweler his idea of the value and if necessary go to a local auctioneer and see what he thinks (after you have ascertained what the stones are).

JTD

9. jameslaz

jameslaz Registered User

Sep 8, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I took the watch to a local jeweler and was told the diamonds are real.