Seeking Information about my Father's Wall Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by CG in RVA, Feb 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CG in RVA

CG in RVA New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Greetings -
    I am seeking information about a wall clock that came to me when my father passed last year.

From family history I know that he purchased this clock in Southern Germany circa 1971, while staying at the Hotel General Walker.

I am wondering who manufactured the clock, where it was made, and what year was it made. The brass movement inside has "Germania" stamped on it. I am also curious for any other information anyone can provide about this particular clock, such as best practices for caring for it and for setting the time. Is it ok to move the arms of the clock?

It works wonderfully, keeps accurate time, and chimes on the hour and 1/2 hour and is very pleasant to hear. A softer chime but quite pretty. There is a service ticket inside from Jan. 1998. I don't think it has been touched since.

Thank you very much, in advance. Very grateful for any information.

Clock1.JPG Clock2.JPG Clock3.JPG Clock4.JPG Clock5.JPG Clock6.JPG Clock7.JPG Clock8.JPG

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello, CG, and welcome to the board.

We have a thread dedicated to Germania clocks:

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/germania-history-and-identification.76266/

Hopefully, there is information there that you will find pertinent.

If it has not been serviced since 1998, it is long overdue for a complete servicing.

Others will be along to contribute their thoughts on the care of clocks and the history of your Germania. We have many experts in the field of clock servicing and repair.

To assist you with your questions, please provide pictures of the back of the movement.

Again, welcome to the board.

Regards.

3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock which looks like it dates to the 1920/30s, these are often called 'box clocks'. As to the hands, if in doubt adjust by moving the minute hand forward only and allow the clock to strike in doing so.

4. chronologiker

chronologiker Registered User

Jun 28, 2017
    Country Flag:
    "Germania" in the gong holder most likly means the name of the gong model, but this is not the name of the maker.

Could you please pull out the movement and post some pictures of the movement? This would be helpfull to give you some information about your clock.

BTW I would date your clock about 1910.

Best regards!

chronologiker

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It would be nice to see the movement itself. You state that the "brass movement" has Germania stamped on it. I see that the gong block has Germania on it. Is that what you mean? If so, it may be premature to conclude that the clock itself is by the Regulatorfabrik Germania. Scmid's Lexikon der Deutschen Uhrenfabrik indicates that Oskar Waldvogel & Co. of Villingen, who made all sorts of clock parts, used the mark Germania on some of their gong blocks.

I see chronologiker was a couple of steps ahead of me. Fortunately, we seem to agree.:clap:

6. CG in RVA

CG in RVA New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for the responses. I would be happy to post pictures of the movement. However, I have no experience with a clock like this. Are there instructions on how to remove the movement somewhere on this site?

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It shouldn't be too hard. The minute hand is held in place by a brass taper pin. Carefully remove that pin. I have used a small pair of pliers, one jaw against the narrower part of the pi, one jaw propped carefully against the hand shaft. Use pliers whose jaws have smooth, not ridged, surfaces to avoid damaging the hand shaft. Then remove the round brass washer and remove the minute hand. The hour hand is just friction fit over the hour cannon and should come off fairy easily. If it is a bit stubborn, move the hand carefully back and forth while gently lifting it up.

There are two screws inside the case that are holding the movement seat board to the slotted mounts on the sides, Remove the screws and carefully slide the movement and dial out. The dial is probably attached to the movement by pins, which can be removed to show the front of the movement. However, we may really need to see only the back of the movement, where there could be identifying information. In actuality, you may not have to remove the hands, but I advise it to minimize the chance of damage.

8. CG in RVA

CG in RVA New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Greetings all. As requested here are pictures of the back of the movement and other identifying features of the clock. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Clock9.JPG clock10.JPG Clock11.JPG clock12.JPG clock13.JPG clock14.JPG clock15.JPG clock16.JPG

9. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    The date seems to be the first half of 1913, according to the mark.

JTD

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And Junghans is the maker of your clock.

11. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    And chronologiker's suggested date was on the money.