Seeking info on L. Fernier et Freres (Besancon, France)

jabregana

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2021
Country
Region
Hi All,

I recently had this unsigned minute repeater serviced by Doug Shuman and he was able to find a signature stamped into the movement. I've searched the web and this forum but not having any luck finding any references to this company. I was hoping to get the help from folks here to share any information they may have about this company or any hints where I should look further.

Here is Doug's write-up on the servicing of the watch:

Thanks,
Jerome

IMG_9047.jpeg IMG_9049.jpeg IMG_7904a.jpeg

jabregana

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2021
Country
Region
Reactions: tick talk

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I know the man is French and the stamp is French but do we have any reason to think the movement was made in France and not Switzerland?

jabregana

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2021
Country
Region
I know the man is French and the stamp is French but do we have any reason to think the movement was made in France and not Switzerland?
I believe it started out as a LeCoultre & Cie ebauche, cal 43. Other than the sharp point of the central bridge it seems to match exactly

A0A3010B-403D-49A5-82C4-236776396A7E.jpeg FE6B1A55-10CF-4900-BD0A-D6F125F5D80A.jpeg

Reactions: John Cote

jabregana

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2021
Country
Region
So, it might be a watch for the French market...or a watch made for a French firm but hardly a French watch.
Curious are there some basics rules to follow to properly denote that a watch is either French, Swiss, etc in origin? I’ve seen Lange watches that used Audemar ebauche/repeaters. Is it improper to call them German watches?

jabregana

NAWCC Member
Feb 22, 2021
Country
Region
Curious are there some basics rules to follow to properly denote that a watch is either French, Swiss, etc in origin? I’ve seen Lange watches that used Audemar ebauche/repeaters. Is it improper to call them German watches?
Also forgot to address the question. The only thing to really go one is that the Fernier was known as a watchmaker in Besancon. Now how much “watchmaking” he was involved versus branding completed watches is unclear

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
To me it would be improper to call a Swiss watch cased and retailed by a German watchmaking firm a German watch....so for me the answer is yes but that is just my opinion. I don't really know what the custom is, in-so-far-as European watchmaking tradition is concerned. I know that toward the end of their time in business both Elgin and Hamilton in the US imported some Swiss pocket watch movements and cased them in the US in US made cases. I don't believe that any American watch collectors would call these American watches.

I don't want this to turn into some controversy. Again, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: jabregana

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Sorry for the irrelevance, but!
Personally I assume that if a caliber is modified it takes the nationality of the one who modifies it, so this watch is French.
Let's take the Lip company, how many Swiss or German calibers did it use, and yet these are French watches.
For example :
0110.jpg 0210.jpg 0310.jpg 0410.jpg

Amicalement GG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre