Seeking high resolution dial file

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by Chris, Feb 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone have a high resolution file for Adobe of a roman numeral dial they can share? I've decided to try to make my own transfer for a large dial I can't find anywhere else. How do you guys do it?

2. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris, I am in the same boat as you, needing to make up a vector or TIFF file of the dial to send to a transfer printer or a screen printer. What sort of transfer are you thinking of? You're from the US so if you meant a decal you would not have said transfer, while of course in the UK a transfer means a decal.

Not decided which way to go and will have to learn Illustrator too.

Have you tried looking for a computer font of Roman numerals? The good thing with them is that they scale upwards indefinitely, as the font file is not an image file but a set of vector instructions.

I'd use a dial painter but have not found one who is good with geometric designs, as opposed to cherubs and roses.

Id your dial is 12" or 14" there are some screen-printed repros on ebay.co.uk. They look much as I imagine a brand new one would have looked in 1880 or so.

Peter

3. Chris

Chris Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Nov 4, 2001
    Clock and phonograph repair
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have an American E. Howard wall clock where the customer lost the dial. It turns out that a Seth Thomas #2 dial has the same center shaft and winding arbor hole distances, so I'm using a junk one to replace it. I filled the two extra holes (seconds subdial and crossmember screw hole used on a #2) and sprayed the dial satin white. All I need now is a dial to copy. The ones I copy from the internet seem to be too small (when you enlarge it in photoshop, the pixels make it too grainy and rough. I know there was someone making rub-on transfers, but I haven't found the right one.

4. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris and Peter,
    Have a look at this thread and see if this method will provide the results you need.
    I could not get the results I wanted using text and the built-in fonts in the CAD program, so all of the roman numerals were drawn using lines. I can't attach it, but let me know if you would like me to send you the DWG file so you can edit it in your CAD program.
    Allan

etmb61 likes this.
  5. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: