Seeking advice on platform balance escape wheel replacement

equaleyes

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2020
Washington State
Country
Region
I bought this H&H mini shelf clock on eBay for $27 plus shipping. Ad said it would only run for a few seconds at a time and I figured a good cleaning might be enough to get it going, I disassembled and cleaned the works except the balance which I soaked for a few minutes in naptha. The works runs free without the balance installed but once I put the balance in, the wheel would run a few ticks and stop. Thinking long and hard about how much I didn't want to pull that balance apart and deal with 11 jewels plus the hairspring, I took a closer look at what was going on when I nudged the balance wheel and then I saw it. The "heads" are missing from two teeth on the escape wheel. A brief search indicates that a new escape wheel will run me at least $80 plus shipping.

Here are my questions:

Is this clock worth that kind of investment?
If I do shop for a new wheel, what (besides number of pinion leafs) do I use to identify a wheel that will fit? (i.e., are they standard in other respects?)
Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help in this area!

s-l1600-2.jpg Clockworks_x.jpeg Balance_x.jpeg Balance_Notated_x.jpeg

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Something is weird. The movement (made by Duverdrey and Bloquel) says "11 jewels" but the platform has a cylinder escapement that looks like it only has 5 jewels. Maybe the platform is a replacement and the original one was a lever escapement platform with 11 jewels?

Anyway, it is unlikely that you can buy a fitting escape wheel for the antique platform. A better approach is to look for a replacement platform on places like e-bay. Unfortunately platforms are not cheap, but sometimes you can find a bargain. Just keep looking. The clock is quite pleasing and the movement of good quality, so in my eyes worth to be repaired.

Uhralt

Reactions: equaleyes

equaleyes

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2020
Washington State
Country
Region
Something is weird. The movement (made by Duverdrey and Bloquel) says "11 jewels" but the platform has a cylinder escapement that looks like it only has 5 jewels. Maybe the platform is a replacement and the original one was a lever escapement platform with 11 jewels?

Anyway, it is unlikely that you can buy a fitting escape wheel for the antique platform. A better approach is to look for a replacement platform on places like e-bay. Unfortunately platforms are not cheap, but sometimes you can find a bargain. Just keep looking. The clock is quite pleasing and the movement of good quality, so in my eyes worth to be repaired.

Uhralt
Thanks for your thoughts, Uhralt. I'll keep my eyes open on eBay and see if I can pick up something at a reasonable price. I do like the clock and would love to get it running.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It certainly looks like a quality movement, and you appear to be experienced in repairing clocks ... so if you can get a wheel for it I'd say go for it. It's basically a watch-like repair and I think you'd enjoy the challenge and the reward of getting it running. The clock looks like it has been well cared for.

Reactions: equaleyes

equaleyes

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2020
Washington State
Country
Region
It certainly looks like a quality movement, and you appear to be experienced in repairing clocks ... so if you can get a wheel for it I'd say go for it. It's basically a watch-like repair and I think you'd enjoy the challenge and the reward of getting it running. The clock looks like it has been well cared for.
Well, I'm not very experienced, shutterbug. I've been collecting for several years but only got serious about learning to clean and service them two years ago when I retired. Since I'm only working on my own clocks, I'm usually pretty intrepid. My goal after all is to learn something new. My hesitation on this project is in spending money on a part that may not fit.

I think I'll keep my eye out for a cheap replacement balance OR an old movement in bad condition that may have a similar balance in it.

What we need here is a salvage yard for clocks like they have for automobiles. ;^)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swfc
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre