Secure clock strike lever

DougDaytona

Feb 1, 2021
Country
I had to replace the strike wheel lever. I have inserted a replacement lever in the arbor but don't know how to secure it so it doesn't rotate in the arbor. Here is a photo of the arbor and strike lever IMG_1656.JPG

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Push the wire through the snug fitting hole about 1". Flatten the end slightly and tap it back into arbor until it bites. Make sure it is positioned properly before you do the tapping. Willie X

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
willie -

if i suggested 'solder' would you cough up a hairball? :)

actually, i was thinking he could push the the end through so it protrudes slightly, and then clamp the shaft in a vise (which would support the arbor) and then peen the end into place. maybe?

b

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
I have yet to replace one of these, so I'm also curious about the whole shebang to extract one that's broken, when making a full replacement. Are these levers, etc., typically slightly turned down in OD at the end to fit the holes? Tapered a bit? Do you spot the previous peen with a center punch while holding in some sort of notched V-block, drill and push/pull to get them out? Never seen one done. If there is a how-to, looks like I missed it ;-(

TIA if you can point me in a direction that vaults over our hall of shame?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They will usually push out with a punch from the unpeened side. On rare occasions you might need to drill them out.
As Willie outlined, you push the new lever through the hole so it protrudes on the other side by an inch or so. Then flatten that end a bit with a hammer. Now when you push it back into the arbor, it will be too big to go in the hole. So you take your hammer and tap it in. Or pound it in if you like that term better :) If you flattened it enough, it will be very tight and will stay in place.

Reactions: Betzel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stylelined
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff