Sector Watch by Record Watch & Co Tramelan (1903-1908?)

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by taimongtsai, Apr 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. taimongtsai

taimongtsai New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Country Flag:
    I did fall in love with the design of the Sector Watch by the Record Watch Co. Tramelan (1903-1908?) a few years back (maybe 20?) when I saw her in a small watch shop in La Chaux-de-Fonds. Finally, last year, I also was able to get hold of one. Since then, I have become a bit obsessed with that watch. As I roamed the net, I came across different back cover designs and I wondered how many different styles actually there were ever made. The whole production of the watch itself was limited, ranging from 500 to 2000 thousand pieces, depending which source in the net one uses.
    I am planing to compile a small online page with "all" the designs that ever were made. As a start, I uploaded all the pictures which I could find on the internet on Pinterest ( under 'Sector Watch By Record Watch & Co, Tramelan (1903-1908)'. Please have a look and enjoy the few there were to be found.
    Maybe this is a bit awkward to ask such an established forum and the many leading time piece enthusiasts, yet would it be possible that you could share your Sector Watch within this Thread? As said, all the info I have about that truly unique Art Nouveau pocket watch is uploaded on Pinterest and maybe you have more to share? Thank you very much.

2. Nachtmotte

Nachtmotte Registered User

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2017
    Welcome to the message board!
    Ein herzliches Gruezi in die wunderschöne Schweiz.

The design of this extra ordinary watch was made by Giovanni Sgherlino, italian from Turin. Patented in switzerland 1903 (CH-Patent 27961), their wonderful cases were made by the swiss company Holy Frères in Saint-Imier. From 5.000 planned watches, approx. less than 1.000 watches were ever made. The mechanism of the sector dial made more or less problems but the company had really nightmares to produce the triangle shaped glas.
    Many regards
    Antonios

3. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    HI Antonios,

Great thread! I spotted one at a fair a couple of years ago, and I'm sure that I photographed it. I'll try to find the picture amongst my digital files. It's the only one I've ever seen.

Regards

Piers

4. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Here some images of my archive:
    The dancer "La Danseuse". Seen at Ashlandinvestment and Christie´s.
    [​IMG]

The "steam ship". Seen at Heritage Auctions
    [​IMG]

"The forest". Seen at Dorotheum´s auction house in Austria.
    [​IMG]

The "Golden Beauty". Seen at Heritage Auctions.
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Antonios

5. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Here another image. "The peacock". Seen at Christie´s.

Regards
    Antonios

6. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Dear collectors,
    may it´s possible that someone might have the dimensions in mm (Millimeter) of the movement?
    length = ? (the longest and the smallest length, cause it´s not a round movement)
    height = ?
    Many thanks in advance for any help

The "House wife with stitch work". Seen at the italian website Vetroplastica.

Antonios

7. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how did they work?
    How do the minute and hour hand go from 12 to 1?

Rob

8. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Retrograd technic.

Regards
    Antonios

9. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Nachtmotte, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    "The running horse" in Tula silver (Niello). Seen at Invaluable auctions.
    [​IMG]

Personalized case in Tula silver (Niello). Seen at Invaluable auctions.
    [​IMG]

The "Lilium".
    [​IMG]

10. taimongtsai

taimongtsai New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Country Flag:
    Dear Antonios,

Thank you so much for uploading these pictures. They look much better then what I uploaded on Pinterest (please have a look!). Do you mind if I use the pictures for my online sector page/booklet? I certainly will mention the source and you.

11. taimongtsai

taimongtsai New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Country Flag:
    The minute hand (and eventually the hour hand) jumped right back!
    Some of the retrograde watches are getting back in fashion, see the beautiful timepieces from Lange!

12. Nachtmotte

Nov 21, 2005
    Greece
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear R.Suter (Ralf, Rolf, Rüdi?),
    of course you´re allowed to use my images, cause I also found them online. Sadly, the serial on the movement is on the dial side - hidden.

Fact is:
    - The serial of the case AND the movement matches (identical).
    - The lowest of my list is actually no.23, the highest no.1.889. With this am taking my assumption of 1.000 produced watches back and replace it with 2.000. All the other images in my archive weren´t able to identify (either bad pictures or missing). Sadly.
    - Case material was so far only 0.800 silver with wonderful scenes or decorated with Tula (Niello).
    - The swiss publisher ANTOINE SIMONIN in Neuchatel has something - guess a small booklet, about RECORD WATCH. Tells about the founder Ariste Chatelain and the problems of producing these watches in their new opened building from 1904 on. Also what happened with the company, when they went through different hands, till LONGINES took over in 1961.

If you need more images of other cases, don´t be hesitate to ask for (perhaps PM). Am creating more, but I need some time to clean the images of my archive for setting them together with white background, like all the others (Paintshop work) before.

If any collector here in the US might support with more details or images, many thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Antonios

13. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Thanks

Rob