Seconds hand for 21J Bunn Special replacement doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by mtucker, Oct 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I decided to replace the second hand on my inherited Bunn Special ( here is my thread on it Inherited Bunn Special B&O Railroad ). Someone told me the second hand was off an Elgin watch and I confirmed that with some Googling. The second hand I bought was advertised for a Hamilton, but I knew Hamilton bought Illinois shortly before my watch was made (it is a 1929) so I took a chance on it. It looks like what I thought is the correct second hand for my watch, but the opening is smaller than the opening on the Elgin second hand and it won't fit on the seconds shaft.

My questions are:
    1. visually (shape), is that the right second hand
    2. If yes, do some of the second hands have a different fitting pressed in and that is why the opening is too small?
    Thanks,
    Matt

IMG_20191007_101622.jpg

IMG_20191007_103133.jpg

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    It's very common to have to ream second hands to fit. A tapered reamer should be used, and with care you can get the friction fit perfect.

3. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Moving to watch repair

Rob

4. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the information. It would take a bit of reaming since the opening on the Elgin hand doesn't look much smaller than the entire protrusion on the Hamilton hand. I noticed the Elgin hand has a cut on the cylinder piece that press fits on to let it expand some when pushed on. The Hamilton cylinder piece doesn't appear to have a way to let it spring open.

Thanks. Still a little new on this forum.

I can keep my eye on Ebay for another second hand off an Illinois watch. Does anyone know if the Hamilton version and the version used on the Illinois differ at all? They visibly look identical in shape.

Thanks,
    Matt

5. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    in your second image i see something....

remove the dial, examine the 4th wheel post... ensure the OLD fitting for the second hand is not still attached to the post......

sure appears to be in the image. I know if you view it without the dial on the movement it will be apparent....
    do this before broaching the hand....

6. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I see what you are saying. I'll check it out. Thanks very much.

7. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have never taken a pocket watch apart before, but some Youtube videos helped give me the confidence to remove the movement and dial. It isn't obvious to me if the old fitting is still attached, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I have a microscope at work which helps a lot. It is hard to take pictures through the microscope, but I got a decent shot at an angle. You see so much more at an angle compared to straight on. Both pictures are below. Any feedback if the old fitting or adapter is still there? If it takes anymore disassembly, I will probably send it to a person that specializes in american pocket watches.
    Thanks,
    Matt

second_hand_shaft_straight_angle.jpg second_hand_shaft_straight.jpg

8. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't see anything on the shaft, it is bare.

9. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    OK, thanks. It looks bare to me too. I put the Elgin second hand back on. Although wrong, it is about the same blue color as the minute and hour hand. Next time I have the watch serviced, I'll see if they can get a correct second hand and put it on there.
    Matt

10. Rob P.

Rob P. Registered User

Dec 19, 2011
    California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Give the repairman the seconds bit you have and ask him to install it. It's just a matter of reaming to size and he should have the tools to do that task.

11. Marty101

Marty101 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Retired-bad back but still movin'.
    Niagara Falls,N.Y.
    Country Flag:
    Rob is correct about the reaming. And it isn't much;it shouldn't take but 30 seconds or so. I'm sorry you've been through so much trouble with this-I assume you bought that hand from me-?-
    It is a touchy thing working with friction fit parts. I have found reaming second hands that should fit to be mostly cleaning,not resizing.

12. mtucker

mtucker Registered User

Apr 13, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I bought it from you. The Ebay auction for the hand lists the seller's location as Saint Jacob, Illinois. In a way, I'm glad it didn't fit. It pushed me to take the movement out of the case and pull the dial off so now I know how to do some of the the basics.
    Would you mind taking a look at the very first picture I posted on this thread? It shows the two second hands side by side. The correct looking hand looks like the opening it is considerably smaller than the Elgin that fits. If you think it is OK, then I may try to get a reaming tool and do it myself.
    Thanks,
    Matt