• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

SWCC Second-Hand Self-Winding Clock Co. movements offered with missing parts.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
At Marts and auction sites we often find whole clocks or usable or salvageable movements made by the Self-Winding Clock Company. There's often some part missing; the pendulum or the hands, or the threaded nut used to retain the long hand.

Worse, sometimes the wrong nut has been used cross-threaded onto the end of the center arbor because the original nut is lost. :mysad:

For what it is worth for the most commonly found SWCC movements: the correct thread pitch for the center arbor to retain the minute hand is USF 3-48. The other two knurled nuts: one on the minute wheel stud and the correcting lever stud are USF 2-56 threaded.

There are other less-common sizes such as for clocks with unusual or very large dials.

Note also that sweep-seconds movements use different hands nuts. The sweep-seconds hand has a USF 2-56 thread and the minute hand is retained by a spring clip.

I don't know of a ready source for these small knurled nuts; I've had to make them.

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Last March I stated in part: "For what it is worth for the most commonly found SWCC movements: the correct thread pitch for the center arbor to retain the minute hand is USF 3-48. The other two knurled nuts: one on the minute wheel stud and the correcting lever stud are USF 2-56 threaded. "

I should have made it clear that the center arbor hands holding nut thread pitch USF 3-48 applies to the Style F movements generally and not all Self-Winding Clock Company movements.

A recent experience with a SWCC style A movement reveals the center arbor thread pitch is different than on the more common F style movements. The A movement center arbor thread is a USF 4-48. This larger thread may apply to the style C movements as well.

Curiously, there are likely more Style C movements extant than the later produced Style A movements which may have been manufactured "in-house" by the SWCC or under contract by other than Seth Thomas. Style A movements have serial numbers beginning with 29nnn.