Searching for a recommendation for a good, reliable watch repairmen

LKKaplan

Jan 22, 2021
Country
We are a Chester County local retail jewelry store, looking for a watch repairmen that can help service a Molly Stark women's pendant watch. Photos attached. Our repair person out of Philadelphia is no longer working on pocket watches. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much, LKK

Molly Stack pocketwatch.jpg Molly Stark pocketwatch1.jpg Molly Stark pocketwatch2.jpg

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
He's not cheap
I find that an interesting statement based on the prices on his website? I'm wondering if I'm getting grossly ripped off when I look at the prices on his website versus what it would cost locally to get a watch repaired?

for instance he's suggesting is $95 to get a pocket watch repaired is that really what he charges or not? And is at a good price?

mldenison

NAWCC Member
Oct 3, 2010
York, PA
www.m82a1.us
Country
Region
From my experience, he'll let you know what he finds and the price of repairs. If you don't like his price, he'll ship the watch back to you. I've had a couple of different 'repairmen' do COA's on a few watches. Some of them came back pretty boogered up. One of my watches - a Burlington wrist watch conversion - is featured on his Facebook page on how badly someone could butcher a nice watch and then send it back to the customer.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi LKK,

The three things that owners are after are low cost, high competency and short turnaround times. Unfortunately, these tend to be mutually exclusive and usually only one of these requirements can be satisfied at a time!

Regards,

Graham

John Runciman

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 13, 2003
Seattle, WA
Country
Region
In no way should any watch repairer be cheap or be expected to be
the problem with that statement is we don't have a reference?

I think his prices are VERY reasonable
so here we get the reference very reasonable but?

he'll let you know what he finds and the price of repairs.
back to my original question this person has a website and on the website the prices are indicated I'm just trying to figure out bike the pocket watch at $95 is that even close to the price he charges or not?

The problem I'm having and I use the word reference is that in the original reply was indicated the work is great so I'm not questioning that but let me quote again
He's not cheap
so what I was trying to figure out was is $95 considered a good price to get a pocket watch repaired or is this considered an excessively high price? or are his prices just a suggestion and he will go through and find all sorts of silly things and now the price is $10,000 yes I'm joking that would probably be too high I just trying to figure out how close the actual prices are to the price on the list and whether everyone thinks that is a fair price or not. Then what exactly would be a cheap price in other words I'm trying to find a reference to what is a cheap price what is a fair price what is an excessive price?

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
what is a cheap price what is a fair price what is an excessive price?
I can't answer for all above but I can give seme examples of what I think is excessive and also very cheap price anecdote from my time in watchmaking:

1 - A friend took her family hairloom, an Omega pocket watch, to a local watchmaker (shop) to have it serviced. (Running watch but not serviced for centuries......)The quote was about USD1000:-. To me that actually says he did not want the job! And I can understand this since many watchmaking shops today has not worked on a mechanical watch for a long time. (I later serviced this watch and a simple COA rendered a "perfectly" running watch.)

2 - A collegue at my former workplace brought a non functioning desk pendelum type clock to me one day. I found nothing special with it and did a simple COA and the clock worked very nicely. Inside was a receipt for some USD60:- about one yer old. When I asked about this receipt I was told they took it to a watchmaker who quoted a repair of the clock at USD 1000:-. The receipt was for the quote! Again I think this is a "No thank you" price. (This was a very high end, well reputed watchmaker. Perhaps he did not have time for more jobs.)

3 - A firend who is a registered nurce took her special nurse watch (The type hanging in a chain around the neck with upside down dial, to easily check the puls of a patient.) to a watchmaker to have the mainspring replaced. He had not worked on a mechanical watch for quite some time. He thought it was so nice that someone still used this type of watches, so the mainspring replacement was on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller