Help Search problems

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I have been having trouble with the search feature. For instance: Today I was trying to find a thread I started a while back. I searched “chime correction”, the title of the thread, and got nothing. I went to my posts and finally found it. I have had several “no results found” searches lately. Am I doing something wrong?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have never found the search feature useful. I always search google and include NAWCC in my search. Its one thing of a few i was hoping would be improved upon.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Yes. That’s what I had to do to find it. Why?
One possibility is incorrect spelling, whether it be by the searcher or by the poster in the original post. I am not implying that you misspelled as either the searcher or in the original thread, but this board's search function is unforgiving when it comes to spelling.

You will see me occasionally requesting that the moderators change improper spelling so that future research will not be inhibited by this limitation.

Regards.

Reactions: Kevin W.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I must have something wrong. I have clicked on the little magnifying glass several times and typed in several different words and got no results. For instance I tried Fashion, bushings, chime correction, and others. Not working. What am I doing wrong?

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I must have something wrong. I have clicked on the little magnifying glass several times and typed in several different words and got no results. For instance I tried Fashion, bushings, chime correction, and others. Not working. What am I doing wrong?
Did you click off of "This Thread" and click on "Everywhere"?

Regards.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I went to the clock repair section. I didn’t know there was an “everywhere”.
When I click on the magnifying glass, there is a box that shows "This Thread" with two triangles. If you click on the triangles you get your choice of:

- Everywhere
- Threads
- This Forum
- This Thread

I use a laptop. If you are using a different device, such as an ipad or cell phone, the options may be different.

Regards.

Reactions: Tom McIntyre

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
The magnifying glass search feature simply does not work on my iPhone. It always comes up “no results”. Can anyone help me figure out what I’m doing wrong:???:?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Will, which magnifying glass are you using on your iPhone, the one on the left next to the shopping cart, or the smaller one on the right that lies on top of a text box and is near the hamburger? The small one on the right is what you should use.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Will, which magnifying glass are you using on your iPhone, the one on the left next to the shopping cart, or the smaller one on the right that lies on top of a text box and is near the hamburger? The small one on the right is what you should use.
I am using the one on the left. I don’t see one on the right. I’ll look for it. What is the one on the left for?
I just looked at several text boxes and there is not one on the right and there is nothing that looks like a hamburger.:???:
Ok! I found it. Is that a hamburger? Thanks, Steven.
I’m gonna see if it works.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I am using the one on the left. I don’t see one on the right. I’ll look for it. What is the one on the left for?
I just looked at several text boxes and there is not one on the right and there is nothing that looks like a hamburger.:???:
Ok! I found it. Is that a hamburger? Thanks, Steven.
I’m gonna see if it works.
Yes, Yes, yes!!! It works.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I am hoping it is a security certificate that did not get installed. They were updated on all our servers last week, but ElasticSearch is not on the operations crew's radar.

I sent Kevin an email.

Here is the real error dump.
1611554438607.png

Reactions: Bila

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
Tom, I feel your pain! The software my employer develops has recently incorporate ElasticSearch into the product. Trying to keep the database and Elastic indexes up-to-date and in sync with each other is a royal pain!!

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The issue seems to be that the Centos operating system does not handle the restart effectively for the latest version of Elasticsearch. There are similar but less frequent issues with new versions of all the components. The extended search facility is not part of the core XenForo system although provided in its basic form as an extension from XenForo rather than a third party.

We have the ability to extend Elasticsearch to all of our documents dating back to 1943 but that seems to be a difficult concept for our management. I installed it originally with that in mind. The difficulty is generating the indexes from documents that were scanned in the 1970's which might require some manual transcription.

ToddT

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2020
Country
Region
Believe it or not, I understand most of that! For those that don't work in the I.T. world, this is why, after hours, it feels good to put your hands on something you can actually see and feel, like a clock movement or the engine of an old car or truck.

IMG_8201.JPG IMG_8233.JPG

Reactions: Leroy Baker

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
On my chromebook the search is off screen, I have to rearrange the windows each time so that I can get to it.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
On my chromebook the search is off screen, I have to rearrange the windows each time so that I can get to it.
Are you using the search function that shows as a text "balloon" with a magnifying glass at the right of the blue navigation bar? The word "search" in the top gray nav bar let's you search the entire site and has a link there for the forus search. The icon recognizes your context and lets you search the particular thread or forum, etc. and will also open the full forum search.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
For those seeing the forum view with only icons in the navigation area, when I put my laptop in portrait mode I see the display below.

The icons on the left correspond to the links in the gray top navigation on a larger device window. The two icons on the right are the Forum search function and the "hamburger" icon that will pop out the menu seen in the Navigation bar on the larger screen size except that it is displayed vertically on the left

The site search provides specialized searches for our Library and Research Center, Publications and other content associated with the Watch & Clock Museum in Columbia PA. The Forum search provides a quick context sensitive search of the current discussion or the current forum and a link to the expanded Forum Search. The link to the expanded Forum Search also appears in the menu of searches in the site search.

the vertical ellipsis will display the right hand side bar with its collection of widgets. The avatar, envelope and bell are links to your personal facilities. The remaining icons correspond to the links in the top navigation for Chapters, Business directory, site search, NAWCC Store and the NAWCC Contact information.
ForumMobile.png F

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Are you using the search function that shows as a text "balloon" with a magnifying glass at the right of the blue navigation bar? The word "search" in the top gray nav bar let's you search the entire site and has a link there for the forus search. The icon recognizes your context and lets you search the particular thread or forum, etc. and will also open the full forum search.
Yes I use the button with two squares side by side in the top right which stacks one window on another then I can get at the right hand end of the blue bar. Took me ages to realise what that actually was because on my screen it is just have a white square. The little arrow pointing right to the left of it doesn't do anything.

I assumed the grey bar was the NAWCC site not the forum.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The double square icon is what your browser displays when you are in full screen view. to change to smaller window view. The smaller window may be resized to whatever window size is convenient when you need multiple open windows.

I would not use the reduced size window myself unless I were was using two windows at the same time. You may also use the "zoom" control to manage the window size in full screen view. Since you are using Chrome, you should be able to press the ctrl/+ and ctrl/- key combinations to make the screen zoom in (+) and out (-).

If the actual pixel size of the full window passes one of the "media size" settings, the software will try to adapt to what it believes is a different device. When the software reads the window size as below 1,000px, it changes to the mobile view with the icons. If you device has a resolution of 760 px it will always be in mobile view. Some mobile devices show more than 1,000 px in landscape view and thus change to the large screen layout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff