Problem Help Search function problems?

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Peter Planapo, Dec 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

Yesterday, I was able to search for any term as designed, i.e. across all forums, in a single forum, title only etc.

Today, any search for any term returns "No results", including such terms as couldn't possibly return no results like "clock" or "pendulum".

Is there a problem or is it me?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You beat me to the post...I was just finding out the same thing. So, it's not you!

Kurt

3. Peter Planapo

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the reassurance Kurt, glad it's not early-onset senility. I'm sure I can manage until the admin experts get it up again.

Peter

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Interesting. A search for pendulum turned up this thread and nothing else. A search for Ingraham turned up no results. Now I will try a search for Ingraham.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yep, a second search for Ingraham turned up my earlier post. We must have had some improvements and upgrades made to the Search function - or the machines are turning on us, a la Judgment Day.

6. Peter Planapo

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Steven, I've just searched "Ingraham" and got only your two posts above. Either the search engine is looking only inside this help forum, or it's looking only at very recent posts, or ... yes, it could be a revolt.

Peter

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Or the database for search terms was reset somehow. Hopefully the older search term database can be resurrected. Typically these databases repopulate but it takes quite a bit of time for the Xenforo bots to scour the board for relevant terms.

Kurt

8. Peter Planapo

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    All Greek to me. I leave it in the capable hands of those admirable people who know what a Xenforo bot is.

9. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    While the search index is being restored, you can always use google to search the site. Just add "site: nawcc.org" somewhere your search
    Example;
    pendulum site: nawcc.org
    or
    site: nawcc.org pendulum

KurtinSA likes this.
  10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been experimenting with adding the NAWCC Bulletin to our search index.

We are using Elasticsearch which is a full text search facility using a high performance search and index builder. However, with 1.7 million posts, it does take a little while to rebuild so several of you got caught in the process. My apologies for the downtime. I think it took about 2 hours to rebuild and it was 10 more hours (overnight) that I did not know it was needed since I mistakenly thought it would happen automatically when I deleted the obsolete version.

The first reported problem was loss of the ability to see a members posts by clicking on the post count that appears under the name when the user posts something on the Message Board.