Screw on stem-winding knobs

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by jess tauber, Dec 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi again. One of the movements I have (Bourquin branded, Gallet-made) has an extra long winding stem that is threaded for a screw-on winding knob. I've never seen any other movement that had one of these, which makes it impossible to use my winding keys on it- thus I have to wind the movement directly with my fingernails, which I'm sure is leaving bits of keratin in the gear teeth (though I blow whatever I can see out after). My question to the group is- how common were such screw-on winding stems (the movement is a lever set so that at least isn't an issue)? And were these found only on higher-end movements, or were they just generic. I have 8 different parts movements of the same model. Three of these have their own winding stems as well, but are squared off in cross-section, which I'd come to believe was standard. Thanks!

Jess Tauber

2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Screw threads are typical, especially on European watches.
    Easiest to add a crown to wind.

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try 2

Threaded ends on stems are typical of European watches. Unlike the US system, the entire stem is inserted after the watch is cased.

Lots of threaded crowns are available to save your nails.

4. jess tauber

jess tauber Registered User

Dec 24, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Dr. Jon- I looked on ebay but wasn't able to find any- probably because I was using the wrong search term. Crown works- plenty of auctions. Thank you!

Jess Tauber