Scrap gold

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Old Man 2011, Jan 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old Man 2011

Old Man 2011 Registered User

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    What to do with a Swiss made Jardena 21J Incaloc watch that is not running but has 3.8 grams of 14k gold?
    I can't even find the maker on this site? Any ideas anyone?

DSC00470.JPG

2. MrRoundel

MrRoundel Registered User
    Donor

Dec 28, 2010
    So. Cal., USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of those baguette style/size watches don't get a lot of respect. They're a quite a bit more difficult to handle when cleaning, etc., than most other sizes. That said, since it's an Incabloc movement, there's a good chance that the balance staff will be OK, and that it "just" needs a C&O. If the watch has some sentimental value you might opt for the service. However, if you just picked it up at a garage sale for $5 or something, you could probably scrap the case for ~$20 per gram. I think that's probably close to real-world pricing. I base this on Kitco precious metals pricing (which I don't believe is retail) being at $24 per gram of 14K gold. While most of us here find the scrapping of watch cases antithetical to collecting watches, (Or downright repugnant for old pocket watches that take special cases.), I doubt that melted baguette cases will be missed much in the future. They were as ubiquitous as they were useless, at least once a person's eyes hit the 40 year-old mark. "Excuse me, ma'am, can you give me the time?" "Here's my watch, sonny, you tell me." :cool: JMHO. Good luck.

Jerry Treiman likes this.
  3. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your thoughts on this matter, It is much appreciated. So the name Jardena means nothing to any collector out there? I have attached another photo of the movement and you are correct, the balance wheel moves easily for a little while. Under it is the letters AS and 1012. At todays price, full scrape gold value would be $112.00 US which a buyer pays at 90%. The movement as you can see is rusty on gear. I would not try to clean that but is there any value as a whole watch with a nice case with minor scratches on the crystal and it has 6 diamonds (?) on it? Thank you.
    RJ DSC00519.JPG DSC00520.JPG

4. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think you would get that much for it. I think you might be disappointed. And it's scrap, not scrape.

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 roughbarked, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    The AS 1012 was a good quality movement but there were millions of them made and hardly anybody wants them anymore but if you wanted to buy a new one today the movement would cost more than the scrap gold price.

By the looks of the rust on the movement, it is likely that it may need a barrel arbor or a mainspring. Will definitely need work on the click and spring. May well need winding pinion and other parts in the winding system.

Jardena like any other name could have been any body. These watches were available to every and anyone who wanted to paint their own name on the dial. The thing is at the time it was worth putting in a solid gold case. Think the white stuff on the case is likely palladium.

Old Man 2011 likes this.
  6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps a moderator could change scrape to scrap, to make future searches easier.

7. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for this information. Yes, my spelling was incorrect, thanks for This. In speaking with a gold buyer this morning, unless it is a very small amount, they will pay 85% for 10k and 90% for 14k and do even better on 18k. I told them what someone had said about not getting this amount and the answer was, "maybe they should shop around". I will just hang on to this for now. Thanks again.
    RJ

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    By Mikrolisk we see that Jardena was a trade name registered in 1954 to the Candino Watch Co. of Biel and Herbetswil (Switzerland).

JTD

9. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I remember Candino. They still put their name on watches today.

10. Old Man 2011

Dec 19, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you all for this information. *NOTE* I just discovered my other questions went into "conversations" instead of THREADS and Is probably the reason why I did not receive any responses.