Scottish Longcase

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Since there has been several posts of Scottish longcase clocks lately, I thought I would post mine. Maker is Geo. Brown - Airdrie. Mr. Robert Loomes gave me a date of at least 1817 and at least 1837.

I found the exact dial painting on one made by Jas. McGregor - Edinburah with a date given of 1820 on Savage & Polite's website.

The case is mahogany with spiral columns on the hood and waist and an inlaid circle on the bottom.

I tried to get a good picture of the signature, but the lighting is not good and it has been gray and gloomy here for weeks.

Missy

Attachments

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very nice clock, Missy. Beautiful graining on the cabinet.

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Thank you Harold. Is that what you would call flame mahogany? I really need to clean and polish it. I am ashamed to say my clocks have been sadly neglected for a long time. A lot of people seem to like New Life Furniture Masque or maybe Kotton Klenser and Feeder Finish. A good cleaning would really bring it out.

Missy

haneyk

Apr 15, 2007
Is there any practical reason why a lot of Scottish clocks are wide or fat-looking, or was that just a stylistic preference?

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Northern longcase clocks (i.e.Scotland, Yorkshire), usually had larger dials (12" and up). It was thought the proportions of the case had to be wider with the larger dials, or the clock would appear top heavy.

haneyk

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks Chris, that makes sense! However, it then begs the question of whether there is any practical reason for the large dial?

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Missy, I would use the Kotton Klenser products. But I haven't tried the New Life Furniture Masque.

oldcat61

NAWCC Member
Dec 12, 2008
South Jersey
Brought our Scottish longcase home yesterday & it's now up & running. Will get torn down when the new cable arrives. It's for sure not what Haneyk would call fat. I'll try to take some pix soon & then figure out how to post. Perhaps only the painted dial clocks were wide? This one is a brass dial mahogany.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Is there any practical reason why a lot of Scottish clocks are wide or fat-looking, or was that just a stylistic preference?
It was really down to fashion rather than anything else and was not just peculiar to Scottish clocks. Dial sizes on painted dials from around 1810 where generally over 12" and often 14" and from this period on cases began to be wider. The demise of the Georgian period also saw the rise of much more ornate and bulkier designs in the Victorian era.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Well, I don't think it had anything to do with practicality. Have you noticed the size of the hoops Victorian women were wearing under their dresses? How about the old battle-axe, Queen Victoria? I think the term FORMIDABLE EXCESS might be an apt description.

But seriously though, I suspect the prevailing decorative and furniture styles had a lot to do with it. Imagine how poorly a slender elegant longcase clock would come across in a room with high ceilings, heavy wallpaper treatment and large heavily ornamented furniture. Every piece had to be in suitable relative proportion in order "to work".

Michael

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
I think you can find a lot of Scottish clocks, with pleasing proportions. Check out the Welsh clocks sometime., if you want to see wide bodies...

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
silverstreak
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff